Stimulus Checks Arriving!

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Peter Renfro, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Apart from that image shown, Trump did insist on his name appearing at least on the memo line of the check as part of his “branding“ strategy as he himself put it.

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

From what I have read, President Trump didn’t request that his name was on the checks, the Treasury Department did that; but our president didn’t object.
    Like always, the fake news media twists everything that they say, no matter how good it actually was, to make it look like the president is doing badly in whatever decision he makes.
    Who cares if his name is on there or not, anyway ?
    It is that his heart is in the right place to try and help the American people get through this “invisible enemy” war, and protect all of us, that is important to me.

Here is a report from the Washington Post (which is pretty much a liberal news source), and even they are saying that it was the treasury department that decided to add the President's name to the checks.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...6272c8-7f35-11ea-a3ee-13e1ae0a3571_story.html

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    Frank Sanoica and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I wonder which one that the majority of people will look at first: whose name is on the check or how much the check is for?
    If I were a betting man, I think I might be willing to bet my SS check that I can walk up to 100 people and maybe, just maybe 10% can even tell me who the secretary of the treasury even is much less what name is in the signature block on the check or newly printed money.

Good thing we do not have to worry about stupid stuff like that since if or when we get money transferred to our accounts there is no signature on it.

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

There are people that are already complaining about how much they are getting and saying "I need more than this!" or "This isn't what I calculated I'd get!".

Give money and it's complained about. Don't give and it's complained about. If Millennials and Gen X-Y people would save more money than they spend...……...IOW, they want a nice house, new car, take their family to Disney World or on a Disney Cruise, etc., etc..

Frank Sanoica and Ken Anderson like this.
  5. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm too afraid of taking risks to ever be successful at running a small business. I would want to have at least a year's worth of cash on hand in case of big trouble like this.

Having said that, I think landlords should assume responsibility also, and take losses on rental space for small businesses. Who else are they going to rent the space to?

I wonder how that is playing out. Anyone heard?

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The utility company here is giving folks a little extra time to come up with their utility bills because of the economic side effects of the virus but the banks, insurance, school and property tax, state and federal taxes still have to be paid on time.

Fact is, a lot of businesses are going belly up and with that the business of owning a rental building, with no money coming in to pay the bills, are going belly up too.
    Even with a small business loan, the bankruptcy courts are going to be very, very busy fairly soon if businesses do not open their doors with a quickness.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  7. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Are they?
    Ok, leaving questions of fake news and who cares aside, I did have a look at the WP link. It does not sound as though the Treasury had requested it. Does it for you?:
    "Trump who was reportedly musing about placing his signature on the checks as early as late March, defended the unprecedented move Wednesday. [...]
    Some senior officials of the IRS did not find out about the plan until Tuesday morning, underscoring the unorthodox process that has turned Trump's desire into reality.[...]
    After privately suggesting to Treasure Secretary Steven Mnuchin that he be allowed to formally sign checks, Trump settled for having hs name printed in the memo section...[...]
    The placement of Trump's name on the stimulus checks was taken out of the hands of the IRS early in the process...[...]"
    It's true, it may be mentioned or it may not depending on who cares.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  8. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

It is just one more example of mob leadership.. The actual deed is never spelled out. However the desire and intent are perfectly clear to the minions.
    Why is this guy pandered to? Many many seem to enjoy him upending norms and tearing down tradition and protocol. Governing by Chaos is not a good thing.

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Most people couldn't even tell you whose picture is on a $50 bill, so why would anyone care whose signature is on a check?

10. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Don't really give a Damn about most people. This is not his money, not his check, not with in his authority. And I do give a f@&$k! a big one.
    Just what is it gonna take this buffoon to do to get you to cast the least little bit of shade?

11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Well, if that's your thing, maybe you can start a non-profit organization devoted to ripping up any checks with his name on them, or something.

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Yes, there are those that won't get a cent of stimulus payment.

My SIL, wife's sister, probably won't get much-to-any, because she still owes Federal taxes and made too much on both her school teaching pension and part-time teaching job she had. This bothers the SIL, but not a thing she can do about it.

Our friend in Florida won't get any due to his income of pension and SS. Doesn't seem to bother him.

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

One man, who hadn't got his payment yet, got so pissed, he set his mother's outside shed on fire and got arrested for it. Guess his mother told him that she would get part of the payment, when it came in. Sounds like he didn't like her saying that to him.

14. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I read that if you owed back taxes and outstanding federal student loans wouldn't stop one from receiving the stimulus payment. Those who owe child support can still be garnished. Some debt collectors may still be able to garnish but some states are looking to stop that from happening.

Amount of income is a definite factor to who will and will not receive the stimulus payment. It would benefit a lot of people if they would actually read about it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ryangu...ons-you-wont-get-stimulus-check/#d251f1d48fd7

Bobby Cole likes this.
  15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Very true...……"if they would actually read about it". But, then again, those that already know they won't get any money, don't want to read about it. Many are simply upset that they won't, like my wife's sister.

Von Jones likes this.