Stimulus Checks Arriving!

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Peter Renfro, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Odd for him to say that. It was my understanding that the Senate was responsible for blocking the increase.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

If he has signed it, then he has no more power over it.

3. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Killjoy

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Maybe not, according to what I just read on Facebook (so we know it has to be right, right ?), and if this guy knows what he is talking about, then our president has been able to force Congress to do what he has been asking for. Time will tell, I guess.

9177C0A6-F219-4C50-AF20-DE12E3F72E5E.jpeg

5. Herb Durant

Herb Durant Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Looks like 2000. 00 dollars will be on the way new stimulus money I just heard a politician say people need that money to last 3 to 4 months things must be really cheap in America.

6. Herb Durant

Registered

I misspoke sorry I'm still trying to understand the American political systems

7. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

100% into my Hobby Fund! :D

Judy's will go into Wild Bird Seed!;)

Hal

8. Ken Anderson

I can't say that I'm surprised but I am disgusted with Republicans who objected to sending $2,000 to American people, most of whom are facing higher costs, fewer opportunities, and declining incomes, while they were perfectly okay with funding gender studies in Pakistan and studies on ways in which people could be persuaded to eat bugs.

9. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I’m always concerned about most of the pork that goes into a budget and really ticked that we send so much money overseas to countries that are hundreds of years older (and a thousand or two) than the U.S. but still apparently cannot afford their own programs.

As far as the stimulus checks for the U.S., whilst I would definitely like the money, I’m concerned that along with spending money that in reality, we do not have, we just might be setting ourselves up for a societal fall.
    When a society gets used to the government taking care of them via a check in hand, they get hooked on it and expect it.
    I believe the N. Korean government used to pay their citizens a monthly or weekly check but suddenly....it stopped. A hooked society and totally controlled by the government.

To me, if the states would totally open up again then everyone would go back to work and our economy would go back to pre-virus. Now, if that would happen along WITH a small check to get folks by until they got their first couple of employee based checks, I think that might be a win-win.

10. Herb Durant

Registered

This is something being kicked around in my parts of the world

The idea of a universal guaranteed basic income (or universal basic income) has gained momentum during the pandemic. This comes as Canada’s federal government has instituted a number of emergency funding programmes to help individuals and business cope with losses due forced closures to prevent spread of the virus.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  11. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

No one is presently looking at it but if the “Fair Tax” program had been implemented when it was first introduced about 20 years ago then the citizens of the U.S. would already be receiving a prebate check of around $2000 a month, every month and the country wouldn’t be so far in debt.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Ken Anderson

Given the size of the budget and the places and things that it's going to, it would be difficult to pretend that fiscal responsibility has played a role on the part of anyone involved. That being the case, if we're going to spend money we don't have, I would much rather see it go back to the American people than to foreign countries, big business, big donors, and dumbass studies. Out of the whole budget, the only thing the Republicans are having trouble with is the part that gives something to the American people who, by the way, are facing higher prices and fewer opportunities. Plus, there is the fact that the government created this mess to begin with and is imposing it on the rest of us, through fear and through unwarranted restrictions.

13. Yvonne Smith

I just saw a news story from the Breaking 911 newsroom online says that they are sending out the $600 checks, possibly as early as tonight.
    Quote:
    BREAKING: $600 stimulus payments could hit bank accounts as early as tonight - Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin

I thought they were changing it to try and pass the $2,000 stimulus checks, which seems to be bouncing back and forth from one section of Congress to the other.
    Mitch McConnell just proposed another bill, instead of signing the one the House sent to the Senate.
    This whole thing is really confusing right now !

Here is the twitter post from Mr. Mnuchin.

E060EACD-C410-4E52-AC39-3B630C8984E7.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  14. Yvonne Smith

WOW ! I just checked my bank online, and I show a $600 stimulus check arriving on January 4th ! This is such a BLESSING, and I thank GOD for this , happy day, happy day !

15. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

I just checked my bank, and no such luck. Bummer

Bobby Cole likes this.