Store And Restaurant Managers

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

At Walmart, finding expired products on shelves, shopping carts and trash all over the parking lot. Mixed up inventory at Home Depot. Trashy parking lots of some restaurants and trash cans that are full-to-overflowing. Restrooms is some stores and restaurants trashy.

Every seen any of these things and seriously wonder about management? When customers have to tell an employee or management about a restroom or parking lot. And, of course a person has to think about the public that makes a restroom or parking lot look trashy. What kind of people are they and what do their homes look like outside and inside?

You are looking for a hose connection at Home Depot and the box that holds these connections is empty. Then you find out that somebody dumped the connections that you are looking for, into another box with a different connection.

Irritating, just plain irritating. However, I have seen managers that take very high pride in the way their store or restaurant looks inside and out.

My first thought, not one of these managers who seem not to care how their store or restaurant looks, never served in the military. The military, any of the branches, simply don't put up with messes.

I've been to "lighten up some" on how my department looked when I was employed. Whether it was at home or in the Navy, I was never told to "lighten up" on how clean and organized I was.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I can only speak for around here, but at Walmart, the dollar stores, and Tractor Supply, I think it is because of too few employees responsible for too many duties.

It is really obvious at the dollar stores. The cashier will never be at the register because he/she is stocking shelves. And you rarely see more than one employee in the entire store.

3. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

You need to visit a Bucees travel stop to see what clean is, they have a 24/7 restroom/ floor attendants, most are cleaner than those using them. Parking lot and all same.

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm finding too many items on the shelves that have expired and also some moldy things.

I had to return some Swiss cheese to Trader Joe's a few weeks ago because it was moldy...it wasn't pastvthe sell by date either.

5. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

Your swiss had an air leak I bet. It is all over really, with the cutting of help it just gets worse. we have few grocery stores here Aldi is the worst as far as OOD items and cleaning and long lines but the cheapest as why they get their business, they attract a certain customer base as do our other 2.
    Walmart as to the variety of items in the store, Brookshire as to top notch run very clean store and great service.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think it's a problem that builds upon itself. Because shopping malls and big-box stores are losing sales, their budget for building and parking lot maintenance is decreased, which inevitably leads to a further loss in sales. They probably also have fewer employees available to keep bathrooms and other facilities clean, too. The parking lot at the Bangor (Maine) Mall is in awful shape and getting worse every year. Rather than repairing large potholes in the pavement, they have closed off parts of the parking area and reduced the number of exits and entrances to the mall. In the past few years, they have lost Sears, Macy's, Toys-R-Us, Bed, Bath & Beyond, and K-Mart. They haven't been able to fill some of these spaces, and some of those that they've filled have been with stores that have no name recognition. Because of the loss of revenue, they aren't investing in building or parking lot maintenance, yet the condition of the parking area makes it difficult for them to attract customers or new clients.

Beatrice Taylor likes this.
  7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Speaking of "pull-dates", I bought a 9V battery this morning at Smith's, marked down 50%, only battery item on entire display marked down. At that, $7.49 for a postage-stamp size battery was outrageous. Got home, opened pkg., had a new-fangled little tester included. It showed 50% of max. Battery refused to operate my equipment. Batt had use by date 12-2020. Took it back, very courteous young woman listened, asked if other batt. items were reduced, gave me back my money. Ran over to Wal-Mart, bought 2 equivalent Energizers for $7.47. 12-2022.

Shelf-life on batteries is I understand a difficult call, due to many reasons. But pushing half-dead stock at half-price is BS, in my opinion!
    Frank