Storing Digital Photos In The Hard Disk

Discussion in 'Photos & Video' started by Corie Henson, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I created this thread to warn people who use the hard disk for archiving their photos. Do not leave hard disk dormant for a long time. There is a tendency for the hard disk to lose its track when not used for 2 years. That's the dormancy period - 2 years of non use. So if you have a hard disk that is full and unattended, check on it every 3 months. Just connect it to the computer and see if the contents are still accessible.

FYI.

2. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

To add to your post, you folks might want to check out a free cloud-storing service, such as Dropbox or Microsoft's Onedrive. They give out around 15gb of free storage, and you can buy more storage cheap. That's the most secure way of storing your photos right now.

Terry Page and Corie Henson like this.
  3. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

I have a one drive and I really like it, I am glad that I got it because when I do start snapping pictures I can take hundreds in a day. Eventually I sort these and archive them, and I agree it is better to at least have a copy in more then one place because things do happen electronically and they could easily be lost, one downside is it took forever to transfer pictures from my hard drive to the cloud, it was so slow, my advise is to do just a few at a time.

For the long haul I bought myself a Terra byte drive, I guess even with that I should not expect it to be a permanent solution as far as storage goes. I suppose the tried and true method of doing a picture is the best way in the long run, but you know how it is sometime you can shoot a bunch of pictures and have only a few amazing shots,

Terry Page likes this.
  4. Corie Henson

Registered

I have an account with Dropbox, the free account that gave me 2 GB of free storage. Since I don't have much files except photos, that cloud storage serves me well. What's good in cloud storage is that I can access it no matter where I am and what computer I use. Like now, I can access my files in the office and they are the same files that I can also access using my home computer.

5. John Donovan

Registered

Glad to see more people jumping over to cloud storage! I've taken it to myself to spread word about it after I stored about 20gb worth of vacation photos on a hard disk which broke out on me, eventually losing all the photos and resulting in my wife going absolutely nuts. I think that Onedrive gives out 15gb of free storage, by the way, and I know for sure that they have occasional promotions for 100gb free for 1 year. I currently have 215gb free until next year. Question is how I'll use all that space.

Corie Henson likes this.
  6. Corie Henson

Registered

Hey, @John Donovan is that Onedrive the same as Google Drive? I guess not but I just wanted to ask to be sure. I was wondering because last night my husband was talking about Google Drive that he created to augment Dropbox so he could store more files and folders. That 15 GB of Onedrive is really huge. It can maybe store a movie?

7. John Donovan

Registered

Onedrive is exactly like Dropbox: a cloud storage service. If you have Windows 8 (or 8.1) and you log in with a Microsoft account, you get the Onedrive integrated in it, and you can see all the folders directly from the file browser, without downloading anything else.

Corie Henson likes this.
  8. Corie Henson

Registered

Thank you for the information. This cloud storage is getting popular to the benefit of users like us. Whereas before I used to buy USB for the digital attache case (so my files at home will be the same as my files in the office) now it is the cloud storage that we use. However, what my husband had installed was Google Drive which gave him 15 GB of cloud storage. He said it is very similar to Dropbox. All he did was to install Google Drive in his home computer and in his office computer as well. That did it. Now he has 17 GB of free storage.

9. John Donovan

Registered

Cloud storage really is becoming big! I've recently heard that huge companies have been storing their work in the cloud for a few years now! I'm guessing if it's good enough for them, then it's surely good enough for us! Haha.

Also, yeah, I guess that you can mix them up and get a lot of free storing space.