Stray Cats At Work

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Kitty Carmel, May 22, 2018.

1. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

When I started working where I'm at now almost a year ago there were two cats there. They were being maintained by an advocacy group and were being fed, water provided and checked on daily. The woman who was coming there, I found out, sadly passed away. I was told no one was coming anymore and I actually didn't believe it. But it appeared to be true.

I called the advocacy group, left two messages, no call back. I finally got a hold of the woman who runs the volunteer PAWS thrift. She confirmed that lady had died. (I had actually spoke with her last summer) She said a man was going there now. Someone at work did say a man was coming but they hadn't seen him. I got the number for him from the PAWS lady and called yesterday. No call back yet.

There are patients there feeding the cats but I cannot get these people to understand the water need. There is a faucet out back that drips. I brought in a small oval casserole dish and placed it under the facet knowing the drip would keep it filled. I had to go in yesterday for a mandatory meeting. It was yard care day and the dish had dirt and particles blown into it. I cleaned and refilled it but won't be back to work until Saturday.

I also can't get to that area without going through the building as the gates at locked. The advocate group used to feed the cats on the side where the smokers go. I swear I work with the black hole of humanity and I can't think of one person who would give a s*** to help me keep water for the cats during the week. I thought of getting one of those watering dispersers but I'm worried about dirt, leaves and foxtails getting into the water during the week.

The PAWS lady said to call her back if I don't hear from the man. I'll call tomorrow if I don't. She said up the road there is someone maintaining about 20 cats. They trap, spay, clip their ears to identify and release. There is a channel that runs behind the building.

I know it sounds terrible, but I can't go to that work place during the week. I actually get teary driving to work Saturday and Sunday. I hate it so much. Also I couldn't even try to sneak in during so called busy times because I swear there are people who don't do their jobs right and are out there in that smoking area constantly. I don't want to see or deal with them or have them questioning and watching me.

I know this went on a long time but it's causing me a lot of worry and stress. I hope they can get someone from the group to start going there.

Patsy Faye and Chrissy Cross like this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Hopefully the lady from Paws can do something.

California is pretty pet friendly...in Carmel almost every store has a bowl of water outside of it.

Neutering is important otherwise there will be just too many stray cats and that's not ideal for the cats.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  3. Kitty Carmel

Registered

@Chrissy Cross Yes this group does spay and neuter and release. Continuing to feed and watch the colonies. But I think the ball may have been dropped on this small group. There is also another orange cat there and I can't get close enough to see if it's ear as been clipped which identifies them as being fixed.

I will be following up with PAWS and I hope someone starts going there. I just can't go there on my days off for my own mental health. I am worried about the cats and their water need.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Is there anybody near enough that could be trusted to at least give them water?

I'll have to reread your post to get a picture of the area. Is it a Hospital? Do they have volunteers? If somebody asked me to do that after or before my shift I would have gladly done it.

5. Kitty Carmel

Registered

@Chrissy Cross I did get a call back from the man who was going there. He admitted he stopped going because it looked like the cats were being fed. I told him about the water situation and he is going to go and put water out. He knew the lady who passed away that went there daily. I was a little upset to learn that someone had stopped going. He did say that the place doesn't really want them there.

Yes it's the nursing home I work at and really there does not seem to be anyone to help. I work with some of the worst people I've ever met. They wouldn't care about some poor cats. They only care about themselves or what anything can do for them.

I have this man's number and the number for the PAWS woman. I'm going to take a jug of water with me to check on the water on weekends that he will put out.

6. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

OH! I thought you meant … cats at work.

cat work.jpg

cat work 1.jpg

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Kitty Carmel

Registered

When I went to work Saturday I went in a few minutes early to check on the water right away. The dish was under the drip and the water was still clean except for some small dirt particles on the bottom which don't hurt anything.

The patient told me that one of the dishes she used is gone probably thrown out by the gardeners. I'm going to buy some paper bowls and take them over. And I'd like to check on the water today if possible.

I'm going to call the woman back. The man said he would put out water. Unless it was thrown away, there was absolutely no water in the area he said he would put it and no evidence of it. The fact is those cats have been abandoned by this organization. I can't go in on a consistent basis since I work there and the clique people watch everything, talk and report. I just can't do it.

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Doesn't sound too good...hope something changes.

9. Kitty Carmel

Registered

Thanks @Chrissy Cross The place where I put the water can't be accessed without going through the building (the gate is locked) and where the man said he would put water there was none.

That poor woman who passed away and was there daily to feed, water and check on the cats would be appalled that this has happened and I feel like telling that woman just that.

Those patients cannot be relied on the care for them.

10. Kitty Carmel

Registered

I called the woman back from the so called advocacy group and she wasn't very nice. Seemed bothered by my phone call. I guess the cats are abandoned though she insists the man is following their care when he admitted to me he stopped going there. Doesn't seem much more I can do.

11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Feel for you...a tough situation and it doesn't help when advocacy groups which are supposed to help...lie. :(

12. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

My pastor told me if you see a need you feel passionate about and no one else is doing anything about it then maybe it's a calling for you. So I did take the lead that I felt passionate about.

Maybe you can think about how you can help in this area in another way that won't interfere with your job.

Ken Anderson and Bobby Cole like this.
  13. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Obviously I do not know what else your pastor preaches or in which manner but that one single statement is probably the greatest and most compelling reason to listen to him.
    People in Christian missions always tell me that they do not know what their calling is and your pastor hit the nail on the head!
    Now, the trick is to get people to follow through once they know.

Von Jones likes this.
  14. Kitty Carmel

Registered

I hear what you say but it seems like every time I try to help it bites me back somehow. That also happened with an abandoned cat that was at my apartment. I found someone who would take her via facebook miles away. Who then let her out after 3 days and she wasn't seen again. The woman presented herself so well, had cats. It turned out so horrible.

This woman form the group even resorted to name calling back at me. I can only do what I can on the weekends now. She gave me another number to all but I'm not pursuing any further.

15. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

You have done all you feel you're able to do, kudos to you for the efforts you made. God will take care of the rest.