Studying Again For A Shift In Career

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Corie Henson, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I have been contemplating to enroll in a masteral course. That was suggested by my boss last year. And although I ignored it, I deemed it a valuable suggestion. I will be retiring in 7 years and I don't know what I'm going to do. If I could have a master's degree then I can be a college professor, earning money and enjoying a new career, maybe. But studying will take away much of my time since I have a job. I fear that I may not have enough time for my family. And the masteral course will take more than 2 years to accomplish.

I'm still in the process of evaluating the matter.

2. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

@Corie Henson. Have you decided on whether to continue your education or not?

Harry Kemp and Linda Binning like this.
  3. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

@Corie Henson How does the employment look over there for older college professors? I know from what you've said, it's difficult for anyone over 50 to find employment there, but perhaps it's different for those in university settings? Would the coursework be online, or in person? That might help you decide, since in person classes usually takes additional time away from your normal routine, since they involve commuting. It's a huge time and energy commitment, but if the ends will justify the means, perhaps it will be worth it.

Von Jones likes this.
  4. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

Good luck to you @Corie Henson if you decide to continue on.

5. Sandy Wood

Sandy Wood Veteran Member
    Registered

If you can do most of your studying online that would lighten your load and would not interfere with your job. That is of course if you have a quiet place at home where you can study without family interfering with your time on the computer. I think anyone who has enough interest in improving their educational skills and wanting to move forward to a better job market should give it a try. As we get older it is harder to find jobs without a collage education or lots of special skills.

Good luck to you and keep us posted.

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

@Corie Henson hasn't been here since March 6. I don't know why, but I hope she decides to return.

Joe Riley and Diane Lane like this.
  7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

A shame, as I found posts interesting and informative. I could not determine where "over there" is, as referenced to in one answering post. Seems like I recall, maybe, that she was in the Philippines? Frank

Diane Lane likes this.
  8. Harry Kemp

Harry Kemp Veteran Member
    Registered

Good luck. Corie! Just be careful on the course you choose, not only for its usefulness, but also because there were a few scams running. I took a computing course which turned out to be utterly useless and expensive to boot!

Joe Riley and Diane Lane like this.
  9. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I think she'll do her research before choosing a school, if she does decide to pursue a Master's degree. I'll try to contact her on another site we both frequent. I'm not sure why she hasn't been around, but I haven't seen her much overall, other than that one site, although i used to see her on several, so perhaps her life has gotten more complicated, or maybe she actually has already started school. @Frank Sanoica Yes, she is in the Philippines.

10. Harry Kemp

Harry Kemp Veteran Member
    Registered

What you could call the vicissitudes of life have led me to abandon several sites I have enjoyed. Some like Facebook I have found ultimately pointless - there are only so many times you can admire someone's kittens/dog/baby or rant on your favourite bĂȘte noire. Or, perhaps you might end up on a site inadvertently teaching English... to the point of nausea!

Joe Riley likes this.
  11. Teresita Campaner

Teresita Campaner Veteran Member
    Registered

I am also excited to retire this year but i look forward to be a stay-at-home person as well as a stay-at-home entrepreneur, mostly online.

Joe Riley likes this.
  12. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Sometimes, I think a person has to "throw in the towel" for a higher education at a certain age. Don't know about the Philippines, but here in the USA, spending out the money and time, at a later age (55 plus), can be a waste of time.

I remember, when I was 54 and had quit my last job to move out-of-state, wife and I decided for me to take a couple of online courses in Purchasing and Inventory Management. That's the area that I had been working in, but wanted more "in-depth" info/learning about the two areas. Took the courses, got a Certificate of Completion for both, but not a single interview I went on even noticed that I had taken the courses. What was one of my major problems? My age!

Taking online, or at school, classes is good, but at a certain age, don't think they will help getting a job.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  13. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

Like one of the above individuals, I am not sure where you live. However, there are on line schools for K - 12 grades that hire individuals if they have a masters degree. Should you earn your masters and jobs for over 50 are scarce where you live, this might be and option for you. Plus, you could work from home.