Succulents Turning Red?

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Kitty Carmel, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I did a Google search but I'm really not finding any concrete information. I did read succulents can get burned and turn color. But this isn't the case as mine may not get enough sun. I don't overwater. I don't think anyway.

My larger leaf ones are the ones turning red. I wonder if I cut them back if that will help. They are potted. Anyone know anything about this? Thanks.

2. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

3. Kitty Carmel

Registered

Thank you very much @Von Jones for posting this video. Strangely since I put the pots on the patio ledge where they get more sun, one is starting to get more green. I really can't figure this out. I may try trimming them back and see what happens. I really don't like the red color. I wanted green.

Von Jones likes this.
  4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

My hen and chicks turn sort of burgundy red during the winter. Later in summer, they will be green again.

hen and chicks.jpg

Hen and chicks 1.jpg

5. Kitty Carmel

Registered

@Shirley Martin I'm wondering if this is a lack of light issue myself. My plants are a more reddish orange. I don't really like the color. My smaller leaf succulents have stayed green.

6. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

They might turn back green if you just let them be. My hen and chicks does.

Putting on my gardener's hat now: :D Chlorophyll is the green pigment in plants. Lack of sunlight could cause loss of chlorophyll, thus making the red show up more. Increased sunlight could cause an increase in chlorophyll, thus turning the plant back green.

7. Kitty Carmel

Registered

Should have thought to post a picture. Here they are. The one in the foreground is already turning green and the red ones further on seem to be but at a slower rate. The smaller leaf ones stayed green. I've had them off the rail over the winter with less light. I think that could be the problem.
    plants1.JPG

8. Eric Cook

Eric Cook Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

That's interesting. The jade plants that are planted outdoors in the S.F. Bay area turn red on the tips in the summer when they get plenty of sun. I should point out that the plant needs to be accustomed to that much sun. Suddenly giving the jade plant too much sun exposure can kill it in a single day. This happened to me once. I put a giant Jade on the patio and I forgot to bring it in. The next morning it was dead.

9. Kitty Carmel

Registered

Unfortunately I can't get my plants anymore sun here. My apartment faces East with a tip to the South. Wish it got a little more sun but at least we don't get the afternoon sun in the summer.