Summer Is Finally Coming , Here In Alabama!

Discussion in 'Happy Talk' started by Yvonne Smith, May 2, 2018.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Every time that I have thought it was going to leave winter behind and go into spring, then it seemed like we had another one of those cold snaps and it would be down below freezing again, and once or twice there was a dusting of snow.
    This week, we are hitting 80+, and even if it cools down again, it should not get much below 70 in the daytime.
    When I started taking the summer clothes out of my closet, then I had to wear sweatpants and a warm jacket the next day; so for the last month or so, I have had a mixture of warmer clothing and summer clothes ready to wear, depending on what the weather did each day.
    Today, my project (which I am working on right now) is putting away all of the winter clothes back into the closet, and sorting and putting out the summer clothes. Should I need something like sweatpants, I can always get into the back of the closet and get a pair, but I think that from now on, the lighter weight clothing will work, and probably I will be huffing and puffing in the heat before too much longer.

At least the outdoor plants are looking good ! The roses are bushy and blooming, and the rest of the plants have all leafed out. The little cucumbers and tomatoes look like they are starting to grow and thrive, so I have hopes for our little garden this year, too.
    I just started some okra in the aerogarden, and as soon as it sprouts, I can move it outside , once it is tall enough that the squirrels won’t eat the seeds.
    I did plant a few real sunflowers, and I put them inside of an old tire, and then covered the tire with one of those woven plastic laundry baskets, hoping to deter the little pests from eating the sunflower seeds like they usually do.

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Exactly the same thing has been happening here too Yvonne. The odd day where it was hot and we thought finally winter was over..longest winter ever... but No... . However it seems that summer is arriving in the next few days and our temps will be in the 80's by the weekend , so let's hope it's here to stay

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

But, I'll MISS winter! Only kidding.........really.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

It felt like summer here in Maine today.

5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm a little chilled today, only 76!

6. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Summer like weather is definitely over here now...yesterday's high was 85 degrees and today's high is expected to be 86. The blessing is there has been a nice breeze along with that temp and some overcast skies which makes it feel cooler.

Our plants, veggies, and flowers...in fact everything over here that is blooming is loving the weather right now and so are we. : )

IMG_0093.JPG IMG_0110.JPG IMG_0098.JPG
    IMG_0104.JPG

7. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

The same at my place. Spring is all around us. Hydrangias are looking promising. So I must have cut them correctly (after having watch a video :D) and everything else is thriving and blooming with the exception of my little "Bonanza" peach tree which died this winter with temps being often at 14 and lower. I should have protected it... The fruits always pepped up my ice cream. The last pic shows what it looked like last year. :(

I love my little paradise outside my hermitage. Temps have been around 70 and in the higher 70s. Meteorologists recorded the warmest April for 100 years, actually since the beginning of official recording.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

We lost our "Christmas tree", our Penta plant, and our Schefflera this past Winter. We did our best to save them but with 20-22 degrees temps for a prolonged time...even covering them did not help.

It definitely saddened us for awhile since we had raised these plants from "babies."
    IMG_2825.JPG IMG_5078.JPG IMG_0116.JPG

9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Back to planning with the sunflowers and the squirrels !
    I looked out this morning and the laundry basket was half way off of the tire that has the baby melons and the sunflower seeds. Some of the melon starts were just GONE, and the two that were left, one was just stalks and no leaves on top.
    PLus, all of the little sunflower seed shells were left behind so that I would for sure know that the squirrel had been there.

PLan B......... Today I will replant (thankfully I have 20 lbs of sunflower seeds) and also some new melon seeds, soak them good and then mulch over with some of the pine straw we have underneath the pine trees. Then , I will put the basket back on top and weight it down so the little pest can’’t just throw it off quite as easy.
    I will report back tomorrow how it goes.

Holly Saunders and Babs Hunt like this.
  10. Ken Anderson

It was in the 90s here yesterday.

11. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It almost made it to 50 F. here yesterday. It was 49 at the hottest part of the day, but we have light from 6 AM until 10 PM. Most of our snow is gone , and I am waiting for the soil to dry so I can till. My wife said yesterday was "Drive your tractor to work day" and that I should get on the tractor and drive it around the property...but I didn't. I did do some lawn fertilizing and outdoor stuff, though. I should be able to till within a couple weeks, then the onions, leeks, lettuce, cabbage, etc. will go into the ground. The onions and leeks are in one of my unheated greenhouses at the moment, and everything else is in the heated greenhouse attached to the house. I pre-start almost everything but root crops. It has been in the 90s occasionally during the 26 years I have lived in this house, it is VERY rare. Most summers are in the 70s during the day and 50s at night.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  12. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Been really sunny today and mild, but only 60 deg f.. but warm enough for me to be out working in the garden with just crops and sleeveless top...

Gonna be hotter for the weekend...

Blimey @Ken Anderson I didn't realise Maine got as hot as that,

13. Ken Anderson

It's not unusual for us to go through the whole summer without temperatures that high.

14. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

It's just perfect over here right now....but we all know that won't last long. The warmth and cool breezes will turn into heat and humidity that can seem to stifle everything and everyone at times. And the breezes will have stilled so much we will have to get the outdoor fan down from the attic and set it up on the porch.

But right now the weather is perfect and we're loving every minute of it...right along with the birds and squirrel and all the plants and flowers. :)