Supplements - Do You Take Them? Which Ones & Why?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Daniel Milner, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Daniel Milner

Daniel Milner Veteran Member
    Registered

I аm VеRY dеfiсiеnt оn vitаmin B grоup аnd I suffеr frоm аnxiеty. I wаs trеаtеd with nuсlеаr mеd. fоr hypеrасtivе thyrоid 15 yеаrs аgо, соuld it bе rеlаtеd tо my vit. B dеfiсiеnсy? Thаnk yоu in аdvаnсе fоr tаking yоur timе with my quеstiоn.

2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I am turning 54 and except for my mild obesity and hypertension, I consider myself healthy. Despite the rigors of my office work, I can still attend to social obligations not to mention the chores at home. And maybe if I would have time to do proper exercises, I could trim down to my fighting form. Pardon me but we do not believe in supplements. We see them as commercial merchandise manufactured more for the money and not for the health benefits. Worse, some supplements are being used as medium for networking (the main intention is to recruit members and selling the product is only secondary).

Instead of food supplements, we are trying to fight old age with healthy food and lifestyle. We follow the early to bed and early to rise adage which is really good for the body. With the food, even meat is okay when taken in moderation but vegetables and fish are much healthier, of course.

3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Daniel Milner
    IMO, Magnesium is the one element found in deficiency in more folks than any other. Deficiency produces no symptoms, so unlike scurvy or any other obvious lack, we do not know about it. Magnesium is "stored" in many parts of the body, apparently, needed there. One compound, Magnesium Citrate, is particularly easily absorbed by the body. Widely available, I have begun taking 200-300 mg daily. The minimum daily adult requirement is 400mg of Magnesium. Mg is variously found in abundance in meats, I'm told.

Second most deficient material seems to be Vitamin D. It's importance to bodily functions seem to spread to all extremes.
    Frank

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, your deficiency is not good. Once when I was returning to college to finish up my degree my doctor recommended taking B vitamins because I was older and will need the energy for going back to college. In daily vitamins there are vitamins for us over 50, so if your doctor approves or at least pharmacist see if it doesn't conflict with your other meds. Checking the multi-vitamins ingredients you'll see if it's right for you...if not sure, especially if taking meds, please check with your pharmacist. You know what my Mom has a pace maker and we needed an OTC cold remedy...I talked to the pharmacist and showed her what I was going to buy, she said it's not good for my Mother because of her heart condition. We get Cough & Cold HBP. So please have a talk with doctor and pharmacist before buying even multi-vitamins, because you'll not only get the right one but the safe one. Take care and you know what else...some little research will yield good knowledge and you'll come across much help too. I have been diagnose with bursitis, researched it and found Swanson Vitamins site has something called Herbal Joint Care; bought it and tried it. It's working so well and the pain is disappeared for most of the day until I wake up. Then there's a little pain. Each day that morning pain is getting less. I also made a post about it like you and got really nice help too. Take care and hope you get well. God help us all and heal us in the name of Christ. (never hurt to pray about it and you'll find just what you need.)Thank you, amen.:D

Frank Sanoica and Patsy Faye like this.
  5. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I didn't realise just how many supplements I do take - they don't do much for me clarity :p

6. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

* Info given here should be checked with a doctor to see what's right for you.

Vitamin D if you don't get out in the sun, especially in winter.
    If your pee is yellow, vitamin B is good, if clear a B complex might be in order.
    If you use little or no table salt you might benefit from nascent Iodine.
    Zinc or a Zinc/ Magnesium combo can help your immune system.

*** A blood test is the best way to tell if you have a deficiency

Frank Sanoica and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Michelle Anderson

Michelle Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

I always thought supplements were an advertising hoax. Until I got into a position where my body refuses to absorb vitamins naturally,

Due to a surgery I had about 10 years ago, I have malabsorption. In other words, my body -- more accurately, my stomach -- doesn't absorb stuff. (Though, apparently calories are the exception to that rule!)

Every couple of months, I have to get a blood test and then everything mixes up as far as my supplements are concerned.

For example, three months ago, I had to take B1, B6, and B12 as well as my eternal D2 (50,000 units once a week).

This month, I am doing B12, iron, calcium, and K as well as my eternal D2 (50,000 units once a week).

I also have to take one "One-a-Day" type vitamin a day, which is usually enough to fix my iron deficiency.

(For some reason, my body hangs on to potassium, which is not supposed to be the case, so I have not needed to supplement that in the last decade. Go figure.)

Next month, who knows?

I do know that I would have no idea what I need without the blood tests, so I always recomment people do them. Of course, they don't have to do it as often as I do...

Chrissy Cross and Frank Sanoica like this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We take all kinds of supplements, both Bobby and I take them. We both feel much better, don't have the same kinds of old aches and pains as we did before. And I have just a whole lot more energy and vitality; so we are both definitely in favor of taking supplements.
    We take a complete vitamin supplement, plus other specialized ones that are beneficial to eyes, skin, heart and liver.
    One important thing about taking any kind of vitamin or supplement is to always take it with food so that your body will process it correctly. If you just swallow a handful of pills or capsules, your body does not consider it as food, or make the usual digestive juices.
    That is why so many vitamins just pass right on through people, and they never get any benefit from taking them.
    If you eat something and then take the vitamins with the food, then they will slowly process through the digestive system and be absorbed and utilized properly.

Michelle Anderson likes this.
  9. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I just take D3 because I was low on that. My sodium and potassium is always normal. Never iron deficient...not since menopause, anyway.

I just noticed today How crazy expensive some of these supplements are. I was sure they made a mistake. Can't remember what supplement but it wasn't anything special to warrant &52.99....generic prescriptions are much cheaper. This was at Walgreens.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I HATE Walgreens ! They are really expensive for almost everything. We went there because I wanted some ketone test strips and they were $20 for a pack of 100, and the same thing is $7 on Amazon. I would never have bought them at Walgreens but I wanted them right away and it was on the way home.
    I am not surprised that their supplements are very overpriced ,too.

11. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Here is what your body needs and if you do not get them you will more than probably have a problem. Supplementing with one and ignoring the others might not be a good idea. Some minerals we need in very small amounts and they interact with each other so trying to guess might be difficult. If you have a digestion problem even eating the right supplement will not get into the body but pass right through.

60 Minerals

Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Sodium, Chloride, Sulfur, Cobalt, Copper, Aluminum, Arsenic, Barium, Beryllium, Boron, Bromine, Carbon, Iodine, Iron, Manganese, Selenium, Zinc, Cerium, Cesium, Chromium, Dysprosium, Erbium, Europium, Gadolinium, Gallium, Germanium, Gold, Hafnium, Holmium, Hydrogen, Lanthanum, Lithium, Lutetium, Molybdenum, Neodymium, Nickel, Niobium, Nitrogen, Oxygen, Praseodymium, Rhenium, Rubidium, Samarium, Scandium, Silica, Silver, Strontium, Tantalum, Terbium, Thulium, Tin, Titanium, Vanadium, Ytterbium, Yttrium, Zirconium

2-3 Essential Fatty Acids

Omega 3, Omega 6, Omega 9

16 Vitamins
    Vitamin A, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B5, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Biotin, Choline, Flavonoids (Bioflavonoids), Folic Acid, Inositol

12 Amino Acids
    Valine, Lysine, Threonine, Leucine, Isoleucine, Tryptophan, Phenylalanine, Methionine, Histidine, Arginine, Taurine, Tyrosine

12. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I like CoQ10 and Fish OIl, also I think I am going to start taking a VItamin D supplment, and possibly calcium. The doctor agrees those are good supplements for me to take. Probably a B supplement woudln't be a bad idea too, however, I try to get lots of fruits and veggies and aa varied diet so I think I get most of what I need from food. However, some supplements are good They are some of the things that you might need for good health.

Michelle Anderson likes this.
  13. Michelle Anderson

Michelle Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

Or take it all sublingually. That's what I have to do.

14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

But it's so convenient for me. It's less than a 1/4 mile from my house. I've been with them for 13 years. The places I always visit have a walgreens, so I'm in their computer there. My ins takes it.

All these little things make it worthwhile for me. I don't usually buy vitamins there but did buy my D there yesterday.
    That wasn't expensive.

15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

That's just too complicated and too expensive to follow. I keep it simple with supplements. I've survived this long and I'm sure I'll survive longer.

My dad was 93 and never took a supplement in his life. In fact none of my relatives that have died did except for maybe a multivitamin.

I think supplements have become the new racket now to make money. I get dizzy just looking for my Vitamin D on the shelf.