Sweet Potato Roti ( Flatbread )

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Yvonne Smith, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This is so simple and easy to make. It is basically just cooked sweet potato, mashed, and flour added to make a dough, and then cooked on the griddle.
    You can add spices, or not, as you prefer. I made mine with just a little salt and some baking powder to make it fluff up a little more, and I used whole wheat flour.
    There are several different recipes for this on youtube, but this one is nice and short, and gives you the basic idea.
    Once you have it cooked, it works about like a pita bread or tortilla to use with a sandwich or other topping. When you add a dab of peanut butter and jam to a nice warm roti, it makes a delicious snack or dessert.
    I put mine in a plastic bag and in the fridge, and then just warm one up when I want to use it.

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I love Roti's but I buy them ready made.. I'll have to try those sweet potato ones , I've always got sweet potatoes here at home to use up... ..

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Today, I made some of the sweet potato roti (Flatbread), and here is how it turned out. It is hard to see the separation of each piece of roti, but I ended up with about 7-8 of them.
    Basically, all I did was cook a sweet potato, mash it, and added salt, paprika, dab of baking powder, and some turmeric. I added enough whole wheat flour to make a rollable dough, rolled it flat and then cooked it in the skillet, turning it several times until it looked done.
    Now, I will put it in a large plastic food bag, and store it in the refrigerator for us to use like we would a tortilla or flatbread.

A3FB2982-6A7E-4B31-9A03-589E01048DA8.jpeg

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

I have found that I really like flatbreads, and how simple they are to make. I didn’t have any sweet potatoes , so I made a basic flatbread that has just three ingredients, WW flour, baking powder, and yogurt. I found a recipe for making flatbread with kefir, and now am making a quart of kefir, and will try that next time.

My morning meal was almost like a Gyro (except no meat), Lettuce, tomato, cheese and a dollop of yogurt on top. It was delicious !

0FAF5311-8622-420A-8607-908790EDCD47.jpeg

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

This turned out SO good, and I have been using it instead of bread. I really like the consistency of this. It is not as thin as a tortilla, and it is not soft and fluffy like a slice of bread.
    I hate cooking, so things that are easy to make, is what is my style of cooking, and this fits that requirement perfectly !
    Today, I cooked some butternut squash, and I am going to make my next batch of flatbread/roti with the squash. I am also making a quart of yogurt to use , because I do not need to have the expensive Fage Greek yogurt for making this, and the softer homemade yogurt will be much cheaper to use.
    The yogurt gives the flatbread kind of a sourdough flavor And chewiness, , I think.

6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

There is a popular "2-ingredient dough" that has made the rounds on the weight loss circuit (Weight Watchers has many recipes based on it.) It's equal parts self-rising flour and non-fat Greek yogurt. People make all kinds of things with it, but primarily pizza crust or a type of bagel. I tried it a couple of times but found it uninspiring, but I might have to try it as a flatbread.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I got into making Naan for a while. Recipes are all over the place, with some so sweet they taste like dessert. I sometimes put recipe ingredients into a spreadsheet to figure out what works for me, and out of 6 naan recipes, the percentage of wet ingredients (water, milk, yogurt, egg) to dry ranges from 15% to 36%. SOme use yogurt, or yeast, or baking soda, or baking powder, or egg, or milk...some do not.

I settled on a recipe I liked and cook them on the grill. The grill really adds flavor, especially if your recipe calls for yogurt...the grill flavor takes the edge off of the acidic bite.

I roll up individual balls, put them on a cookie sheet, then carry them to the grill. I flatten them one at a time then lay them on the grill, doing batches of 5-6 (they are sticky and loose at this point, but don't fall through.) I brush the tops with homemade ghee (melted butter would work just as well), flip them when the bottom is cooked, then brush the cooked side with the ghee/butter.

I like this method way more than doing them inside on a cast iron griddle. I'm lucky if half of them actually make it back to the house.

Of course, this is not a true chapati/flat bread. They're too think to use as a wrap. But they're real good.

Yvonne Smith likes this.