Switching Operating Systems

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Hal Pollner, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

BETH IS RIGHT !

I talked to the Geek Squad yesterday at the Best Buy store where I bought my W10 computer, and they said they will not install an operating system that will soon be obsolete!

So there I have it..LEARN WINDOWS TEN or DIE!

Harry

Lois Winters likes this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

There is always the simplicity of getting a Chromebook, @Hal Pollner . If you look at the thread here about Chromebooks, everyone who has them says how much they like them and how easy they are to operate.
    Since they will connect to any monitor (or television) you could have your large computer monitor, with the ease of using the Google operating system.
    I am sure that Best Buy has a good selection to choose from.
    Here is the link to the thread about Google chromebooks, in case you might want to check the idea out :

http://www.seniorsonly.club/threads/chromebook-laptop.13773/

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm going to have this framed. :D

Ken Anderson and Ken N Louis like this.
  4. Ron Simpson

Ron Simpson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I probably spoke a little prematurely earlier about switching to the Linux operating system because it is a little too "geeky" for us older volks. Linux is a free operating system that will run most (probably all) the free programs (like Word, Spreadsheets, etc) that are virtually the same as the ones that Microsoft Sells, but there is a learning curve to operate Linux. I like it because of the free features and many free programs available for it, and wish I had taken the time 10 years ago to learn it. Now I just don't have the time. Age comes at a bad time?

I suggest now an alternate approach which is simpler for us seniors and is just the opposite as Hal asks. I don't yet know exactly HOW to do it but I know it works because it is the way my newest used laptop works. It is a Windows 7 "shell" that operates in Windows 10. The user sees the familiar window 7 screen and operates in a Windows 7 environment but the computer is working in the Windows 10 operating system. It is supposed to be simple to set up, once your computer has been updated to Windows 10 operating system, so don't let some shop charge you too much. Beth G. describes this same information in the second post. BTW Windows 10 is supposed to still be a free upgrade for computers operating in Windows 7 and 8 - act quickly on this.

One reason I don't like Windows 10 is that it has been described as "invasive", meaning it SPIES on you. That's another whole issue.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Alan Sidlo

Alan Sidlo Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hello Ron! Welcome to the forum... you're about as noobie as me on this board and it seems we are in good company. So I've been using Linux since its inception (can't believe it's been so long). I've also worked with iOS and supported Windows environments top to bottom. You're probably running 100% GUI as opposed to command-line so don't fret too much it's actually almost a blend of the others. The learning curve shouldn't be as steep as it may seem. My suggestion would be to attempt new operations intuitively. With the plethora of desktops out there you're bound to be trying a few until you settle down with a favorite. Each may have its own little quirks but they all are similar enough to make for an enjoyable experience. The key is to play at mastering each desktop environment. "Think like a baby" and you'll be alright. The Linux Bible is a great reference and there are downloadable electronic versions for free if your not really keen on getting the latest iteration. Armed with that you should be adept at freeware in no time!

Bess Barber and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

My son did this for me, Hal. This is within his line of business, but it is a chore.

Micki Pembroke likes this.
  7. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Google spies on you and heaven knows who else, so I guess it doesn't matter if Windows joins the crowd. Especially since Microsoft makes no bones about wanting to dominate the globe.

8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Just bumping this thread because hearing Hal say that never gets old. :D:D

Actually, I just wanted to brag a bit. My husband is out of town for a week, and I was bored last night so I decided to putz with the old Acer laptop that lives downstairs in the den. It is a 2011 model, Windows 7 OS.

I updated drivers, cleaned up the disk, and downloaded Windows 10. I figured even if it bombed I wasn't out anything but a little time. I was surprised that the download and updates went fairly smoothly, though updating all the drivers and some apps took a couple of hours.

The laptop battery is toast -- we have been using it plugged in for a couple of years, which kind of defeats the purpose. So I jumped on Amazon and ordered a new battery for it, which will be here tomorrow. I'm pretty pleased with myself. :p

Ken Anderson likes this.
  9. Herb Sutton

Herb Sutton Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have an old computer that I don't use that was converted from XP to Linux. It has not been updated for some years. I don't know if it can be updated.