Ted Cruz Wins In Iowa / Bernie & Hillary Tied

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Lara Moss, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

TED CRUZ…...…28%……..51,666 votes
    TRUMP………………24%………..45,427 votes
    MARCO RUBIO….…23%………..43,165 votes
    BEN CARSON…….…9%………..17,395 votes
    RAND PAUL……….…5%…...…….8,478 votes
    JEB BUSH………….…3%…………5,235 votes

HILLARY…………....50%……...……700 votes
    BERNIE……………..50%………...…695 votes

Martin O'Malley & Huckabee are ending their campaigns,

More Iowans went to the Dodgers game than caucused.

Most voters were age 45 - 64

97% of voters were white

79% of voters were Republicans

85% of voters were Conservatives

64% of voters were born-again or evangelical Christians

91% of voters are dissatisfied or angry about the federal government

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    Von Jones and Ike Willis like this.
  2. Will Lawrence

Will Lawrence Veteran Member
    Registered

I was certainly pleased with the Iowa results. Good to see Rubio moving up and challenging Trump/Cruz. The Republican race is far from over. Trump will take New Hampshire, but Rubio could score higher than Cruz there. Will be interesting to watch. I still think/hope that either Cruz or Rubio is the GOP nominee.

It does appear Clinton beat out Sanders by a whisker. Close, but expected. New Hampshire will be just as close for the Dems. Then, Clinton will begin to move out front and will be the Dem nominee.

Lara Moss likes this.
  3. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

I agree, Will. I have to go back through the political threads and find out what the answer was to my question, "What's not to like about Rubio?". I don't care that he missed participating in Congress so much while campaigning because he can only do so much and running for US President is important. Maybe it was about a bill he voted for without really reading it first. Again, his focus was on the campaign. That's when he probably realized he couldn't give his all to both. That's only human and was a good move to remove himself from voting on bills to avoid that problem. Was there something else? I've always like Rubio.

4. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

The final count for the Democrats is:

HILLARY…………..700.59

BERNIE……………696.82

If you count the "margin of error" as has always been done in the past, then Hillary's 4 votes shouldn't mean "She won", should it?

And these numbers don't add up to a whole number. How can you have only half of a vote? Must be one of those flimsy little "ballots" that ripped and fell off the table in the hands of a volunteer counter.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I"m glad Cruz won, though I like Trump too. I'll tell you what I think is wrong with Rubio....The Washington Cartel are behind him, since Bush isn't doing well. He is backed by the ones who want to keep things the way they are.

Yvonne Smith and Lara Moss like this.
  6. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The numbers do appear somewhat askew but upon reasoning one can come up with an answer whilst using the U.S. census bureau.

The census bureau declares that the average American family has 2.5 children. Now, if perchance the Iowa average is the same then I imagine the .5 child might grow a percentage point or so as he/she grows up.

Say that the Iowan life span average is (maybe) 80 then our half a child would be a 50% human at birth but grow a couple of percentage points each year until he reaches 80 whereby he obtains the distinguishing feature of being 100% human, but unfortunately that only occurs the second he leaves this earth. As a note: Many, many .5 voters cast their votes at that time or soon after but it is somehow looked upon as illegal. I say, now that they have achieved full humanity, let em vote!
    Using this method it is easy to see how a person who was only 50% at birth can easily be 61.875% human by the time he or she reaches 19 and such would be the vote thereby giving an actual count on the ballot, or is that "ballet"?

Ken Anderson likes this.
  8. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

hmm. It seems to me a ballot by any other name is still a ballot. One person given one ballot to vote should end up with one used ballot with their vote on it. Not 1.4 ballots. Voters are already full grown and not 1/2 child and the census bureau is not involved in this. But that's okay. You don't have to explain it again. :);)

9. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

To be serious this time, from my understanding, the voters are allowed to split their votes in the cumulative system. Each ballot counts as one ballot but not one vote so the split votes on each ballot call for a percentile unit.

10. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

You mean they can vote for more than one republican? Or worse yet, they can vote for both Hillary and Bernie. That's crazy. Why don't they have a box that says undecided? Or better yet, why don't the undecided voters just stay home until they decide lol.

Von Jones likes this.
  11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Not really. It's like a competition whereby the voters can choose to either vote three times for a single person, one time for three different people or two on one the one on the other depending on how they rate three individual candidates out of the entire field of those who are running. It allows for good better and best and then at the end the best is chosen by the greater percentile.
    Note: Since the percentile points are rounded at the hundredths a single vote can be counted as 33.333 or rounded to 33.34 or 32 depending on the break point at which they like to round out the numbers.

Also note: In a caucus, one is a declared republican or democrat and the votes can't be crossed. It's not like being able to declare yourself a democrat and vote republican.

In the end, all the caucus did was give a barometer of who might be looked at most heavily in the final primaries by that state and an overview for the rest of the country. I believe @Ike Willis can better enlighten us as to the actual procedures involved in voting in a caucus and whether the votes might be defined more as a flexible vote rather than the cumulative methodology.

All the above is my understanding of things and aren't necessarily all there is to it. In Alabama, one vote is one ballot but a caucus is another animal entirely.

12. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

I see. Yes, I did watch a few newscasts where they tried to explain the caucus procedures, and kept saying "it's complicated" and that democrats are more complicated than republicans, but it's "all complicated" lol. Carly Fiorina said it's all wrong to be so complicated and she would change it….but I think she was referring to tax returns at the time. She even waved her reduced-to-2-pages proposal at the camera. Still, she understood that it doesn't all have to be so complicated. She was good. Too bad she was such a sourpuss and so hung up on women's issues.

13. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Now Ted Cruz is in hot water. Did he really tell people that Ben Carson was leaving the race so he could entice the evangelicals over to him in the Iowa Caucus???

Trump called him on it and Ben Carson made a statement that it's not right. Rubio only said that, for some, it's a time of "desperate measures". Rubio never takes the bait when reporters try to get some catty remark from him…not gonna' happen. Cruz just said he wakes up every morning and laughs at Trump…as if it's Trump's fabrication of things. Did Cruz say it or not?

14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Iowa, like Maine, is a caucus state. There are no ballots. People divide into groups according to who they are supporting, then people from either group, and even campaign staff, can try to persuade people to change sides, using pretty much any means possible. It can take hours. Each caucus, usually a town, is allotted a specified number of caucus votes. We call them state delegates in Maine; I don't know about Iowa. But these numbers don't represent voters, although the allotted number is based on the number of registered voters, per party. If one caucus is allowed 40 votes and only 20 people show up, their votes count double.

The numbers will change by the time Iowa has its state convention because several delegates won't show up for one reason or another and, unlike the caucus, a delegation can cast only as many votes as it has delegates. For example, in 2012, the Millinocket Republican caucus was allotted 6 delegates but only 4 showed up and 2 of those got mad and left before any votes were cast, so my wife and I cast the only votes for the Millinocket caucus.

The state of Maine was allowed 20 delegates to the National Convention, and all of them were for Ron Paul. However, the Republican National Committee wanted Romney so they replaced 10 of our elected delegates with 10 unelected delegates who would nominate Romney.

By the way, in Iowa, when a caucus cannot decide between two candidates, they flip a coin. Iowa had six caucuses decided by a coin toss in their Democrat caucus and Hillary won all six.

15. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

There seems to be some speculation as to how Cruz won the Iowa caucus. I don't especially like Cruz, but if he won fair and square, fine. If Cruz won by torpedoing Carson with a lie as has been said, not so fine. It will be interesting to see how this drama affects Cruz in the other caucuses.
    If I were a betting man, my money would be on Bernie. No, I don't like him, and no, I also don't trust college students to make sane choices. JMHO.

Bonnie Thomas likes this.