Teenage Troublemaking

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Ken Anderson, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

During my senior year of high school, I had all of the credits that I needed to graduate, except that they wouldn't allow me to take the required Government course in the eleventh grade, so that was the only class that I needed in twelfth grade. Told that I had to enroll in at least three classes, I enrolled in English Literature and American Literature again, although I had already completed them with A's in tenth and eleventh grade.

Anyhow, this meant that I only had morning classes. Often, I'd hang around school the rest of the day anyhow, sitting in on classes whose teachers I liked or just hanging around the library. My closest friends were from Menominee, Michigan or Marinette, Wisconsin, south of Stephenson, Michigan, where I attended school, so a couple of my friends from Menominee and Marinette would come to Stephenson sometimes, and I'd sometimes go to the Menominee High School and hang out. I lived in Wallace, in between Stephenson and Menominee.

But that's just a prelude to what I wanted to talk about here. A friend of mine from Marinette had a job as a DJ at a Marinette radio station. Although he was a senior at a Catholic school in Marinette, he had his own apartment above some business on the main street in Marinette. We'd hang out there a lot, and I'd often spend weekends there.

One night, there were about twenty of us in his apartment, and there was some LSD floating around the room, but that's not really pertinent to the story.

There was a knock at the door. Bob, my friend whose apartment we were in, answered the door and it was someone from the Marinette Police Department. He had come to warn someone who had parked his van along the street that it was against the law to park on the street after midnight.

I imagine he said okay, he'd move it. but then everyone forgot. Sometime later, someone looked out the window and the cop was pacing back and forth on the sidewalk. So, we all decided to go down. The guy with the van would move it off the street and we would all walk a few blocks to a 24-hour restaurant for an early breakfast. It was probably about 2:00 am by then.

We did that and noticed that the cop was following us. Yes, Marinette had cops who patrolled on foot then. We decided to split up into two groups, walking around different blocks before meeting up at the restaurant. The cop followed the other group but, before long, we had our own cop following us, walking about a quarter of a block behind us. I don't know about the other group, but we decided to split our group up and, sure enough, now there was a cop following each of our groups. We split again, but I think they had run out of cops because no one followed us.

We met at the restaurant, and four cops came in and had coffee a couple of tables away from us. We stayed there for a long time, then decided to walk to a hill in the park and watch the sun come up. I guess we were on the wrong side of the hill because, at some point, someone noticed that the sun had come up and we'd missed it.

2. Ken Anderson

3. Ken Anderson

Another night, the same apartment. A friend of ours was going to leave, and he was going to walk home about ten blocks or so. We gave him a five-minute headstart, then called the police. A girl who was there with us did a very good impression of a little girl, as she told the police that this older guy tried to sell her some acid, describing our friend, and which way he had been walking. We did have every reason to believe that he wasn't carrying anything illegal.

A half-hour later he called to tell us about being hassled by the police on the way home. He was walking on the sidewalk when a police car drove up, blocking the sidewalk ahead of him, and another came up behind him. They searched him and, as we hoped, didn't find anything. While he was telling the story, he heard us laughing and figured out that we had set him up.

There wasn't much to do in Marinette after midnight.

Frank Sanoica likes this.