Television Quit

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Janice Martin, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Seems nearly everyone has all the newfangled gadgets, but is anyone knowledgeable about regular old-fashioned televisions?
    It was working fine since it was given to me a couple of months ago, no problems, no sign anything was wrong with it, but the day before yesterday it just stopped working- the sound and volume quit when I was watching tv. When it's turned on, all there is is the red light and a fast, quiet beeping sound.

I unplugged and replugged it a few times, and even managed to scoot it into a different room where there's AC & fan because I thought the humidity might be causing the problem. Nothing's worked. I've never known of a tv to just stop working. Might anyone have input?

It's a Phillips HDTV and says Dolby Digital on the front.
    I posted on Phillips forum yesterday, lots of views but nobody replied.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Ive had two TVs quit on me since Ive moved here 14 years ago. They just kind of does like yours did.

Think one was a Phillips but I'm not 100% positive.

Ive had an older TV that if I gave it a good whack it would start...but it wasn't a flat screen.

3. This one is is a huge bulky thing, not like the ones I've seen online with flat screens and pedestals.

4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Yeep is dead...ours was a 2007 or 2009 Samsung ...given to us....one morning about 2 weeks ago...went snap crackle and it was gone. Bought a rather cheap one at Walmart..do not like it...sound is not great. The new ones. Ugh... a headache I think. I dont want to use my phone to program it either. Shop around.

5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

That's the kind I had at first, that responded to a good whack on the side...sometimes it took more than one whack but it would start.

After awhile though, nothing worked so I bought a new TV. They're not so expensive now...depending on the size and quality you want though.

6. I've only whacked a tv once- long ago- and it blew out the picture tube. My father was not happy- it was his tv.
    I'll give it a try, though.

I'm not picky- as long as a tv works, that's my only concern.

7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

When I bought my new flat screen one a few years ago I didn't need to use my phone to program it. I had AT&T uverse at the time and I just made sure when I unplugged all the wires I made a note of what color went where and I set up my new TV by myself with no problem...connected to cable too...it wasn't hard, especially if I could do it. :)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Excuse me, what? programming a tv with a phone? huh?

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I don't know...Gloria said that. I don't even think I had an iPhone when I bought that TV.

10. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

When you get a red light and a fast bleeping sound on an old CRT TV , it usually means your power board has gone....which basically means it's a Dead TV..and you need to buy a new one... . If the light had been green it could possibly have been saved... but yours sounds like it's completely had it, sorry to say!!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Harry Havens

Harry Havens Veteran Member
    Registered

Speaking of "input", might you have accidentally set to VGA or something other than HDMI or whatever you used as input prior?
    There is also the old button on remote wedging itself in a down position.
    Not to mention hitting numerous wrong buttons and turning off devices that need to be turned on to operate.
    Yes, I have an endless list of mistakes to choose from.

How old is your tv?

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The new flat-screen televisions aren't very expensive, and mine was pretty easy to set up.

Chrissy Cross and Holly Saunders like this.
  13. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

Janice spit in the back and whamp it a good one

Janice Martin likes this.
  14. Kalvin Mitnic

Kalvin Mitnic Veteran Member
    Registered

Usually you can reboot a T.V. by unplugging for a minute BUT not plugged in to a cord. It must be directly into a wall outlet. I have surge protectors on everything including the garage door ceiling outlet which 'blew' from nearby lightning storm.

15. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes... U can do that on newer ones...but pita...so I gave up. Remote is fine fed me.