Terry's Ramblings

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Terry Page, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

A slightly tenuous link...I remember going to a pub in St Albans called The Blacksmiths Arms. They have a blue plaque there in honour of The Zombies, who used to play there (or had their first gig there, possibly). Anyway, it's still a music venue these days and they have a very good range of beer, or certainly did when I was there.

Terry Page likes this.
  2. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes Tom I should have mentioned he started in the Zombies, ............tenuous links are welcome here :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

3. Terry Page

Registered

I seem to be in a perpetual reminiscing mood at the moment, working through all my old albums I came across Mike Batt whose later music I loved, this track combines my love of railways and a wistful romance.

"The Railway Hotel"
    I did live in a railway hotel in Scotland for a while during a mad romantic interlude a long time ago :rolleyes:

Mike Batt – Railway Hotel Lyrics

We went to the room and we bolted the door,
    The bass from the jukebox was coming through the floor,
    And out through the walls we could still hear the roar of the trains.
    Was this all the comfort we got for our sins?
    No candles, no waiters, no soft violins?
    A dirty electric convector plugged into the mains.

I had wanted much more for the first night with you,
    But the railway hotel was the best I could do.
    I knew the Savoy would have suited you well,
    But the best I could do was the railway hotel.

Away in the sky were the lights of a jet,
    Burning in the night like a slow cigarette.
    The lamp in the street threw a soft silhouette on the wall.
    And though it was crumbling and rundown and dead
    A chair and a sink and an old single bed,
    The love we began and the things that we said, I recall.

I had wanted much more for the first night with you,
    But the railway hotel was the best I could do.
    I knew the Savoy would have suited you well,
    But the best I could do was the railway hotel.​

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
    Joe Riley and Chrissy Cross like this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I'd like to hear about the interlude...if it's PG rated. :)

Terry Page likes this.
  5. Terry Page

Registered

I thought you might lol, but I am falling asleep now so will come back to it tomorrow maybe :rolleyes:................ Is any romantic interlude PG or should it be even? ;)

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I just said that to be on the safe side. :)

7. Terry Page

Registered

Is there a safe side ? ;)

logo-sawfeside.jpg

[​IMG]

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

9. Terry Page

Registered

As our 3 week Sri Lankan adventure draws to a close, I am tempted to say this is one of the best vacations so far, and it's really down to the people who are so kind and friendly, we have met and become friends with families and tuk tuk drivers who have put photos of us on their facebook pages and the one in Kandy was an interesting artist as well. I am tempted to say it would be lovely to live here, but that I know is a common holiday/vacation experience which rarely works out.

I could though imagine becoming a beach bum here for a month or so, as could Lisa, you could easily live here on $150 a week all in, including beer. I have got used to living in 32c ( 90F ) 24/7 and could easily chill out for a month before becoming bored.

10. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

I can see that. It's so you there. I've read, though, that when foreigners move to another country of a different language and culture, that they never really make a true friend thereespecially when the "tourist wallet" is out of the picture. You'd always be an outsider. So enjoy and treasure the fond memories, then count your blessings at home.

11. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I'd completely forgotten about this thread. Much as there's a lot of topic options on this forum which is great I do find that I get lost a lot, and lose threads, even those I have on 'watch' don't always show up..and so I usually just find them again when someone has made a 'new post' which is a pity because threads don't get the attention they sometimes deserve

Terry I think I asked you last year what camera you use , because your inside and low light photos all turn out so well...which mine don't with the fuji finepix bridge camera...but I can't remember what camera you use, I'd love to be able to take such glorious indoor photos as yours.

Ruby Begonia and Chrissy Cross like this.
  12. Terry Page

Registered

Yes Lara I have read that too, and I am old enough now to realise that home is where your heart is, the guy who owns the apartments here in Unawantuna, is a Dutch born Australian raised ex hippy, who though 5 years younger than me looks 20 years older, I guess his wild life in the 60s has taken it's toll.
    He has lived here for 16 years but I can tell he is not at home here in his heart.
    To live in a country that is alien to your own culture is very difficult I feel, unless you can be a complete hermit.

13. Terry Page

Registered

This is the camera I have @Holly Saunders a Sony RX100 II .............indoor shots are all down to the size of the sensor really, but this camera has some clever tricks, in taking multiple shots and combining and analysing the best one. I have found it the best so far for night and indoor shots. I know the DSLR gives the best results but they are too large for putting in your pocket, which this one is ideal for.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  14. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Well I'm very tempted by it Terry if it'll allow me good night shots...but for only that reason...because my Bridge camera..is a great camera and with a viewfinder which I find absolutely invaluable in daylight sun... Yours doesn't seem to have a viewfinder..so with that in mind may I pick your brains..and ask...is there a lot of faffing around to set up the sony for good indoor and night shots so making it worth having for me for those occasions...or is it simple to set up? :) I'd hate to have to muck around setting apertures etc ...just for the odd few night shots, but the fuji is very disapointing at night and indoors and I lose a lot of potential great shots with it....whadddya think?

Joe Riley and Terry Page like this.
  15. Terry Page

Registered

I am on the beach again lol so will reply more when back, the later model of mine is the mk lll one and has a viewfinder it came out after I bought mine a year ago.
    It's not complicated to set up ;)

Joe Riley likes this.