Texting While Driving A Bus?

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Hannah Davis, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

I can't believe this has happened but it did in my home state of Arizona as I found out on my local news yesterday. Apparently a bus driver working for the Phoenix Transit System, our state public transportation system was actually texting while driving. Some of the passengers tried to complain to the man but he just ignored them and continued to text. One of the passengers got so fed up that they actually filmed the man texting while behind the wheel of the bus and turned it over the officials at Phoenix Transit,

So, did the man lose his job? Not yet according to officials they have to investigate the issue. I can't help thinking what is there to investigate he was caught on tape texting. But I guess that is common procedure in such situations. Anyway, it was noted during the story that the drivers are told that they are to drive and only drive when they get behind the wheel of a bus, so texting is definitely out of the question. So, this driver does deserve to lose their job.

2. Helene Lawson

Helene Lawson Veteran Member
    Registered

Such behavior is very immature, also talking to somebody on the phone while driving a car or bus too.
    I don't know what such people have in their heads, they are responsible for so many people and they don't pay attention to what they are doing/.

3. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

We have a law against using the phone while driving, i.e. voice call but not really texting. There is an opinion of a newspaper columnist that more accidents occur because of texting than drunk driving. There are not statistics to prove since that is only an opinion but it will keep you thinking. When I am driving and the vehicle in front is moving in a very slow pace, expect the driver to be using his phone - calling or texting. I normally encounter that at least once a week.

4. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Veteran Member
    Registered

I read a similar story not long ago. Only in this case, the busdriver actually crashed and killed at least one person! What are people thinking? Have we forgotten that there was life before cell phones? The bad thing is that it's not just young people doing it! I see people my age yakking away, and sometimes texting while driving. I doubt if passing laws will help much. You can't regulate stupid!