Thankful For...

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Tom Young, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Tom Young

Tom Young Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Sharing some thoughts:

A personal look back.
    Woke at 3AM today, the day before Thanksgiving. Two hours of dreamily looking back to remember what I am thankful for.
    Two wonderful hardworking, moral and loving parents, who taught me the greatest gift... empathy.
    Grew up smart, sensitive and with great curiosity. Skated through school all the way to Bowdoin, with a full scholarship... grades yes, but helped by being a All American swimmer. (Had my choice of scholarships to 9 different schools.) Just lucky...
    Best Liberal Arts School in US and the World. All male school back then.
    Major in Psych, minor in German... but the best ... classes in Astronomy, Biology, Creative Writing, World Religions, Art Appreciation, Music, Calculus grrrr... Sociology, Military Science, Music, Physics, Philosophy, Economics, and more that I've forgotten. Framework for the next 60 years... loving every part of life. A sponge for old, new, and what's around the corner.
    Married right out of school to jeanie, friend from my childhood age 7, but never dated til My HS Senior Prom. Now 61 years of love and marriage.
    Next:
    After School, Army, then 30 years of management with Sears and Montgomery Ward.
    In all, we moved 22 times in 7 states, and 38 states US travel with work.
    Four great sons... we grew up together... (for me 30 years in Scouts) and back then... almost every weekend... camping, canoeing and exploring, with jeanie too, when we weren't with the Boy Scouts.
    Early retirement @ age 53... (cancer)... forced a decision to make the rest of life, the best. Non-stop action for 25 years... delightful social life of Illinois/Florida snowbirding and travel. Since 2012, happily settled in our senior community, in our 84th year... reasonably healthy and very happy.
    A few blips along the way, but ninety-nine plus percent...of what we could have ever hoped for.
    Two hours of sleepy, vivid, rememberings. Have you ever done that?

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes I have and after reading your wonderful inspiring post, I hope others will too
    To look back at those happy times and leave regrets in a closed box
    Thanks for letting us in on your memories :)

3. Micki Pembroke

Micki Pembroke Veteran Member
    Registered

Happy Thanksgiving Wishes 2019 for Everyone.png To All Celebrating Tomorrow.

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I am extremely THANKFUL and BLESSED that I met/married the lady I did. After 23 years of unhappy single (divorced) life and now almost 19 years of marriage to a beautiful Christian lady, whom I love tremendously...….yes, I'm indeed thankful for her. We have so, so much in common.

5. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Hello, Forumites!

I wish to thank the many who produce the foods we consume on Thanksgiving, such as Farmers, Ranchers, Poultry and Dairymen, Fruit Growers and many others who provide the bounty for our Thanksgiving tables.

I also wish to thank the Truckers and Rail and Air shippers who deliver these items to Markets near and far.

And I wish to thank the Warehouse and Retail Market personnel for providing and displaying all these items for our selection.

Finally, I wish to thank those special members of our families or preparing and serving this Feast on our Thanksgiving Tables!

We all have the freedom to choose who we wish to thank for this Thanksgiving Bounty, but I personally give my thanks to these, the REAL PEOPLE who are making my
    Thanksgiving possible!

So whoever you wish to thank, I'm wishing you all a Happy Thanksgiving!

Hal

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  6. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

7. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

Happy Thanksgiving. ...to all!

8. Micki Pembroke

Micki Pembroke Veteran Member
    Registered

How was everyone's Thanksgiving.

Lois Winters and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Wonderful. Still recovering.

10. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

We all have so much to be thankful for. I'm thankful that I didn't have to go Black Friday shopping, among many other things. :)

11. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

I am thankful for family, friends and Mother Nature, no matter what she throws at me.