Thanksgiving Forecast

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Joe Riley, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

THANKSGIVING FORECAST 2018;)
    [​IMG]

Turkeys will finish thawing Thanksgiving morning, then warm in the oven to a high near 190 in the afternoon. The kitchen will turn hot and humid, and if you bother the cook, be ready for a severe squall or a cold shoulder.

During the late afternoon and early evening hours, the cold front of a knife will slice through the turkey and cause it to accumulate 1-2 inches on plates. Mashed potatoes will drift across one side while cranberry sauce creates slippery spots on the other, especially if it mixes in as you turn to the green bean casserole. Please pass the gravy.

A weight watch has been issued for the entire area and we expect intervals of indigestion, with increasing stuffiness around the beltway. During the evening the turkey will diminish and taper off to leftovers and drop to a low of 34 in the refrigerator.

Looking ahead to Friday and Saturday: high pressure to eat sandwiches; flurries of leftovers can be expected both days with a 50% chance of scattered soup during the midday hours. We expect a warming trend baste on where soup develops.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I only like the white meat of the turkey...so I'm always on the look out for when Turkey breasts go on sale or you can buy one and get one free. And now that I have a few good recipes for cooking those breasts in the Crock pot...we eat them all year round and not just for Thanksgiving. Look out turkeys....in our house your "goose is cooked" anytime we can find you on sale. :)

Joe Riley likes this.
  3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Listen up, Pilgrim!

[​IMG]

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I just love turkey and also cranberry sauce (whole berry, of course), and so this is one of my favorite things about the holiday season. There were turkeys on sale for 89 cents a lb, so we got a small 10 lb turkey.
    They should be going on sale at all of the grocery stores next week, so we will see what the sales bring forth. I am still decideding whether to save it or cook it now and then get another one for Thanksgiving.
    Bobby is not as enthusiastic about eating lots of turkey as I am, so I don’t want to overload my sweetie with too much turkey. I actually decided that asking Bobby for his preference was the smart way to determine what to do, so I just asked him, and he says to go ahead and cook the turkey ............. YEA ! ! !
    We do have other food in the house, so he doesn’t have to live on turkey unless he wants to.

Bobby Cole and Joe Riley like this.
  5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Turkey vegetable soup is really good and so is turkey and smoked sausage gumbo! :)

Joe Riley likes this.
  6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

We used to raise our own turkeys and geese. Our first two geese were named Thanksgiving and Christmas. Thanksgiving got butchered, but Christmas started laying eggs, so she was saved and lived a long life until an owl killed her years later. We decided geese were much too hard to pluck, so stayed with turkeys for many years. Our turkeys used to get so big that they would just barely fit into our oven, as they often weighed 40 to 50 pounds. Even with 6 children, we had lots of leftovers. Now that there are only two of us, we don't raise turkeys anymore, and the size of Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners depends on how many people come and what they bring to contribute. We have had as many as 21 people for dinner and as few as 6.

7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

The small Country store my Honey works part time at sell stuffed turkey breast. You have your pick of stuffings and although it's not inexpensive to buy...it's really good. In fact it is the only way one of my SIL's will eat turkey. :)

Bobby Cole and Joe Riley like this.
  8. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

thanksgiving1.jpg

9. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

10. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

11. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Don't forget the Turkish Coffee, for Thanksgiving!:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

12. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

13. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

What is this? Memries without the hassle?

14. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Ghost riders in the Skype!:);)

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  15. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered