The Archive

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by Ken Anderson, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't know how long it's been around but I just came across a channel on Roku call The Archive. It's a free channel of old movies, many of which have been restored. There is no cost for signing up or for watching movies, and I was able to watch movies even before I registered with the channel. Online, it's at thearchive.tv.

I've watched a few good movies on it. My only problem is that, on some of them, the sound is bad. I have to click the volume all the way to 100 and I still have trouble hearing. That's not the case with all of them, but it is with some.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    Von Jones likes this.
  2. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I thought Roku was like Netflix, you had to pay a monthly fee. Or maybe I'm mixed up.

3. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Do you have to have Roku? It's asking for a code attached to the device, @Ken Anderson, do you know what code is being referred to?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  4. Ken Anderson

No, the Roku is the machine. You pay a monthly fee for any premium channels that you subscribe to on Roku, like Netflix, Hulu, etc. Actually, I am using a Roku-equipped television rather than a Roku, but it's the same thing. When I bought the television, I sold the Roku machine for almost as much as I had paid for it.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  5. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson, I managed to find the support section about the code. I haven't heard back yet.

6. Ken Anderson

Yes. They want you to pair your Roku with your account - to go to thearchive.tv/activate and enter the code that is being presented to you on your Roku device. If you have Netflix or Hulu, you have done something similar with them.

Von Jones likes this.
  7. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

@Von Jones I have also found it's easier to manage my Roku account from my computer regarding any subscriptions. They will send emails for trial offers from time to time as well.

@Ken Anderson Thanks!!! I will check that out tomorrow. I also use YouTube a lot by searching and doing saves from my computer instead of clicking all around on the TV. My daughter downloaded the Pluto app. She loves it. I haven't tried it yet.

Von Jones likes this.
  8. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Well it looks like I won't be able to join 'the archive' because I don't Roku.