The Camping Trip That Wasn't One...

Discussion in 'Tall Tales & Fabrications' started by Yvonne Smith, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The worst-ever camping trip that I remember was done in a tiny 1963 Rambler American. If you do not remember these, they were maybe the first economy car, and back in the day when gas was only 17 cents a gallon to begin with.
    This was not actually a camping trip.
    My husband and I had only been married a year or two, so we were both in our early twenties (probably a good thing). It was fall, and we were going hunting.
    He had the deer rifle and I had my little .22 single shot rifle for hunting grouse.

We were on a scraggly forest service trail way back (hours) into the woods, and we came to a good-sized creek in the road.
    Naturally, he was sure that we could get that little car to drive through the creek, and somehow, we actually made it across, and on up the hill on the other side.
    Not so easy that evening when we came back down again, and were tired and heading home.
    Of course, the car was stuck, totally bogged down, in the middle of Grouse Creek. We tried to jack it up and push it off of the jack to get it far enough out to drive.
    That didn't work
    Next, we tried using a large dead branch that was laying on the ground and using that as a fulcrum to push the car ahead.
    That didn't work either.
    After a couple hours of this, we were soaked to the skin, cold, and tired. And a long, long ways from civilization of any kind.
    We made a small campfire, ate whatever food we had left, dried the clothes as best as we could, and slept in the car over night. The next morning, we were seriously starving; but had renewed our energy, and somehow, we got that little car pushed far enough out of the creek that he could drive it out of the other side.
    Getting back home and taking a hot shower was such a wonderful thing ! However, I am not sure if we did that before or after we had something to eat.
    And neither one of us brought up the idea of camping for a long time after that. .

2. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, I am not a fan of camping period. I have never gone camping or have any desire to do so. I guess you could say that I am not the outdoors type. I need electricity, plumbing and running water. I also need a bed to sleep in along with the other comforts of home. I know some would say I am soft but that's just the way I am camping isn't for everyone. From what you said above you ddin't have too good an experience going camping. Such stories don't make me want to change my mind on this subject that's for sure.

3. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I've had camping trips almost ruined because we couldn't 't find the area we wanted. But camping isn't for everybody. Camping is roughing it in the wild. Camping is more designed for the young. If you like camping, you'll like it less as you age. Camping is a youthful activity, like soldiering or basketball or long distance running or alligator wrestling.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I would not get any sleep if I was camping out some place. Every sound would have me jumping out of my skin, I am not a camper, I can take a nice hike out in the woods but the thought of sleeping there is not something I would ever do.

5. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Until I acquired sun poisoning, I was very much the outdoor person. I grew up on farms, and many of the skills needed for camping were just learned as I learned more about farming and taking care of the farm animals. Making temporary shelters and bedding for animal, knowing what plants and water sources can make them sick, and learning how to observe whatever action is in your vicinity, are skill many of us picked up along the way. I think much of camping's joy is lost when you take along all the different camping gear that TV convinces us is a must for a luxurious experience, and I can understand how city folk get confused.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Your camping trip reminds me of my husband's last hunting trip in the province of Bulacan where the famed Sierra Madre mountain range starts. He was with 8 other guys including his brother and brother in law. They were armed with air rifles for shooting birds. It was a contest of sorts and my husband had won the competition on day 1 with 3 birds for his trophy while his companions had none. That night, they used in place of a tent is a big tarpaulin for overhead covering and had mats for beddings.

The 8 or 9 guys were lined up on the mat sleeping side by side. It was a cool night, tired and refreshed so it was a good sleep.. presumably until the generator started operating - 2 of the guys were heavy snoring and the sound left my husband awake all night.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Camping is something that in my imagination sounds like a lot of fun. I picture comfy tents, a nice lake, a campfire
    Where we toast marshmallows or cook the fish we caught earlier but in reality Its never been like that the very few times I've been.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.