The Car Protector

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Frank Sanoica, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

When I was pretty young, once, maybe about 10, my Mother must have convinced my Dad to take us to a big gathering in Chicago, this was possibly the one time I remember going to a circus. Not sure exactly about the event, but the prelude stands out in my mind vividly.

We arrived and in the large parking area, we encountered a young man, black, how dressed I have no recollection at all, motioning my Dad to drive his way to park; apparently we perceived him as an employee. He directed us into a space, then approached my Dad: "Mr., I'll watch over your car for $2.00." Evidently my Dad suspected skuldugary, and was caught in it's double-meaning. Here was a scam which provided the young man a no-lose situation: He extorted money to protect, but likely retaliated viciously in the absence of the owners. The perfect ploy. Returning a few hours later, the owners would find him nowhere to be seen, the condition of the "unprotected" car unknown.

My Dad paid the price. We had a nice new shiny Lincoln, his first car bought since 1935, before the war. He was also livid. This was treachery of the type unresolvable. The kid was definitely resourceful, if misled morally. We never again attended such an outing.

We were honest folks. Our type worked hard, never preyed on others, expected reasonable reciprocity. During the ensuing years, I remember others in the family talking about such parking scams. Apparently a ploy not originated by our young man.\
    Frank

2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered