The Deliberate Dumbing Down Of America

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Bobby Cole, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

A little something to get your blood pressure going today. The video says in a short 12 minutes what I, my wife and others have been screaming about for years.

Von Jones and Ken Anderson like this.
  2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Veteran Member
    Registered

Thought provoking as to 'why' ................ Money money money ?
    Depressing ................ :(

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

Although subjects might be taught differently now in some schools, Ive never seen spelling mistakes being let go on any of the papers my 5 grandsons wrote.

There are still spelling tests, etc.

So, I don't agree totally with this video.

Von Jones and Bobby Cole like this.
  4. Bobby Cole

Registered

I can see the spelling thing happening with some specific teachers but not overall. On the other hand, I do see an overall drive to reward Johnny or Sally for simply doing the work no matter the outcome. A perfect example would be the agenda of rewarding kids who play in a sporting competition with a trophy for simply competing.
    Getting a pat on the back and an atta boy if the person honestly tries should be sufficient for those who's performance wasn't up to par. Giving someone something to shoot for, whether a trophy or a gold star, is just one motivational method to call for excellence. If the work isn't completed and completed correctly, the gold goes to someone else who did.

5. Bobby Cole

Registered

It is harder to rule over well educated people. The less someone knows and the more their sense of reasoning is dulled, the more they are willing to accept whatever they are told.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  6. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Veteran Member
    Registered

That's true enough
    As for the rest of the video - a study of violent video games was featured here on the radio, stating that under 18s
    are playing these games. When the question was asked why not ban them altogether, the answer was they make
    too much money from them and the same goes for most detrimental items, even food products, make-up etc, - where
    the ingredients are less than healthy

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

I think it depends on the school, but the further we get to standardization, everyone will eventually have to be at the lowest common denominator.

8. Bobby Cole

Registered

One thing I noticed a number of years ago with the advent of scholastic integration was the overall implementation of the bell curve. Whether whatever schools could not afford good teachers or the standards of black schools in particular were less than the others I do not know.
    Note: The schools I went to were already integrated years before there was a law, hence my lack of knowledge as to what the differences were.

By using the curve, all a student needed to get decent grades was to be in the same ballpark as the other students.
    A student no longer had to get a 100% of the answers on a test correct to receive an A.