The Dreaded N Word

Discussion in 'Evolution of Language' started by Hal Pollner, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Jane Smith
    Please, thought my vocabulary is fairly extensive, but in all my born days I do not think I have ever heard or seen the word "gobsmacked".

British, maybe? I'm imagining the simile would be "knocked over with a feather". Just curious.....
    Frank

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have. Yes, it is British.

GOBSMACKED

Adjective
    1. Utterly astonished; astounded
    Synonyms: amazed; staggered; surprised; startled; stunned; thunderstruck; aghast

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

We all know what that dreaded n word is and yet we don't dare speak it print it or write it for fear of being accused a racist or Politically Incorrect. Very interesting because the N Word is still used orally amongst themselves by some members within the African American Community.

4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

So - what is your point, there are many words I 'could' use but don't out of respect for others, if those 'others' don't respect themselves
    does that mean I lower 'my' standards ? I think not

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Wife and I would never/ever use it, but have seen movies with comedy, drama and action where it's been used. We didn't like hearing it, but it was in the movie, Green Book, that we watched on Saturday night at home. There are stand-up African-American comedians that will use it on stage as part of their act.

6. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

It would never occurred to me to use it because it's never been in my vocabulary at any time, however there does seem to be an oddity that by their own admission, Black people can use it to call each other but no-one else is permitted..surely if it's so offensive it should be frowned upon for everyone to use it... because after all it's not the word itself..a word is a word.. it's the connotations behind the word !!

7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

It's basically the same as any other derogatory name/expression; ugly and uncalled for. People in polite society can converse without using profanity or hate speech. They just don't always choose to do so.

That said, I am a proponent of free speech. If someone wants to put their ignorance and bigotry on display for all to hear, fine by me. I'm sure I've been called plenty of ugly names but somehow I've survived and have not had to "go viral" with my personal outrage or sue anyone.

Chris Ladewig and Bobby Cole like this.
  8. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

The politically Correct Folks haven't as yet come up with banning the S--c word for Mexicans, the Da-o word for Italians, Ki-e word for Jews, the Ch--k word for Chinese. The Li--y word for English. Give em time.

9. Holly Saunders

Registered

Oh yes they have here in the UK...same for the P*k* word for people from Pakistan or P*kie for gypsies.... ...however, the weird thing is anyone can use the word Jock , for a Scot, Paddy for an Irishman or taffy for a Welshman...

Do we Scots, Irish or Welsh mind?... nope not one little bit!!

10. Sir Walter Pasty

Sir Walter Pasty Veteran Member
    Registered

(I am known as Taffy on one forum.)The word is very offensive today and rightly so but I am tempted to post Olivers Army which some radio stations have taken to censoring.In that song it's referring to a white person.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  11. Holly Saunders

Registered

What?..are you serious? Olivers army? FGS..that's taking Pc'ness wayyy too far.

12. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

The same type person who uses the "n" word is probably calling women the "b" word or the "c" word. Just consider the source. Small minds have to pump themselves up by insulting others.

Bobby Cole and Patsy Faye like this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Seems like these kinds of words have been all thru history, as in "Krauts" for Germans in WWII, "Japs" for Japanese in WWII, "Gook" for Viet Cong Guerillas in Vietnam, "grunt" for American Infantry soldier and on and on.

Heck, I remember, in the movie The Blues Brothers w/Dan Aykroid and John Belushi, where the American Communist Party call the white folks "Whitey", by the bridge.

The "b" word, towards women, seems to be used more and more in movies.

14. Bob Kirk

Bob Kirk Veteran Member
    Registered

Sticks & Stones may break my bones but words never hurt me, no longer correct I guess. Never understood why people want to refer to themselves like
    African American
    Mexican American
    Italian American.

If born in America or become an American legally why not just American?

15. Holly Saunders

Registered

Exactly... this is what we Brits have never been able to understand about America..

here in the UK... you're either a Brit or your not..

You're not an Italian Brit, A French Brit.. African Brit, nor a Jamaican Brit, nor a Pakistani Brit, Nor a Polish Brit......one is simply British

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.