The Drug Guy

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Bobby Cole, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

About 30 years ago when I first started in the home missions ministry I checked into a mission in S.Carolina called the Greenville Rescue Mission. It wasn't much of a building but it would serve me well as an intern. I immediately started off as the kitchen manager and later branched out to be the floor manager and family care director all at the same time. But, it is not about me that I write.

I met a young man in his late 20's who was head of the rehab department for drug and alcohol users and it wasn't very long before we became great friends. He was going to Holmes Bible College and was in his second year when I first met him. He had a wife and a son and they were housed in a campus home for married people. The job at the mission only paid him $75.00 a week, but my friend always said that God would provide for his needs.

His name was Winn Freeman. Winn had a rather strange background because at one time he was a heroin addict. He came by it honestly because his mother and brother were addicts and pushers also and all of them lived in southern California. One night Winn was arrested and that was the beginning of the Wisdom in Living Life Ministries for in the back of a police car, his life changed. Those of you who are practicing Christians know exactly what I mean. On a 20 year sentence he served only a few and after he got out he was accepted at Holmes Bible College with the aid of a local pastor.

While at the mission he was obviously trying to burn the candle at both ends so I would sometimes tutor him, take over a couple of his classes, and even help him out with some of his office work. Together, we started the "Overcomers" program for those who's lives had been ruined because of drug or alcohol abuse. It is still a part of the ministry today, and is actually housed in what used to be a large cathedral building.
    Winn never let me forget that I helped him even though to me, it was a privilage to work with someone like him. He was all about patience, understanding and love for everyone he came into contact with at the mission. I have never experienced another human like him and doubt I ever will.

When he graduated he won the Holmes award. There is only one student per year to achieve the coveted award. A year later he became the Executive Director of the Greenville Rescue Mission and led them into a huge new building, that helps thousands of homeless people each year.
    Winn left that ministry to begin the Wisdom in Living Life Ministries, (The web site tells of his whole story) the dream he had while in prison. He was the only civilian individual who could carry a suitcase full of drugs (for his lectures) in a 4 state radius and never be bothered. Everyone called him the "drug guy." The name stuck but he preferred to be called the "no drug guy." He had a senator, 2 judges, a Sheriff, and the Chief of Police on his board of directors. They believed in him, and he, in God.

Our friendship has never waned over the years, even though we did not contact each other on a regular basis. He called me about 6 months ago to tell me something strange. He said, "no matter what you think, you have made an impact in a lot of people's lives." It was kind of weird because I had been having doubts.
    But, that was Winn. He always said something that made sense at the most valuable times.

Winn's birthday was recently celebrated. The warning on my ipad said he would be 60! "Happy Birthday," I wrote on Face Book. I said, "you have too much work to do so I know the Lord will keep you around for a few more years." God Bless You Mightily my friend and brother."..........I wrote.

I got a message today. "Hello Bobby, this is Rhonda. Winn died 4 months ago."
    Nothing more needed to be said. Right now, remembering my friend Winn, is enough.

Yvonne Smith and Ken Anderson like this.
  2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh, what a sad story. I did not expect the ending to be that sad.

There are former drug users here, particularly in the movie industry, who now belongs to the ministry of rehabilitation. Being popular actors, they spearhead fund raising campaigns for rehab purposes. They also stir awareness about the ills of drug with their informal talks in gathering. Unfortunately, the drug user inside the movie industry are still at it because there are the so called pusher.