The European Parliament Swing To The Right

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Don Alaska, Jun 10, 2024.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The European Parliament elections over the weekend have caused a political earthquake across Europe. Politico has referred to it as "Europe's Trump moment". While it had an impact in several nations--Germany, Austria, and even Hungary (which has been Conservative for some time), the big impact was in France. Macron's party drew 15% while Marie Le Pen's party drew 34%. This has triggered parliamentary elections in France, which may lead to the unseating of one of the hawks in the Anti-Russia movement in the EU. Interesting stuff of which Americans may not be aware.

Ed Wilson and John Brunner like this.
  2. Thomas Terry

Thomas Terry New Member
    Registered

I come from Europe. These are nice headlines in the newspapers, but in reality nothing has changed. The conservative party still has the majority in the EU Parliament. The right-wing parties have won seats and also done well in the individual countries. But that won't change much.
    It will only be interesting in the upcoming elections in the individual European countries. France has already announced new elections, Austria will have its turn in September,...
    I don't know how much people outside Europe are aware of the problems here or how they are being portrayed. Europe is creating a morally superior image of itself that it can no longer afford. It fails because of the idea of where it should go and the actual living conditions.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

France is in turmoil as Marie LePen's party has made significant gains in Parliament. What will that mean in the foreign policy department and support for Ukraine? I have no idea. I think Germany and Austria will have elections soon as well.

Yvonne Smith likes this.