The Ford Mustang

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Frank Sanoica, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

On it's day of introduction, at the New York World's Fair, April 17, 1964, folks ordered 22,000 of them! By 1967, 1,300,000 had been sold.

"Beneath its sexy, groundbreaking looks were ordinary mechanicals sourced from existing Ford models like the Falcon and Fairlane, allowing Ford to keep production costs down while still meeting the staggering demand for its new car."

[​IMG]

I bought one off a used-car lot same color, year, and model: 1967 Shelby Cobra GT-500. It barely ran, owner frightened of huge repair bill, traded it for cheap. I paid $800. 1971. It had a broken spark plug, cylinder #7, nearly impossible to get at to repair, cylinder head had to be removed. I fixed it easily, cost almost nothing, it went like hell! Unhappy wife. Told me sell it. I did, for $1700, to a young man, Japanese, who gave me a
    deposit, begging me to wait as his dad was in Tokyo on business, and he had to call him for OK. Two days later, he returned with the dough. Then, he revealed he had never driven a manual transmission (car had a 4-speed, of course). I coached him best as I could, spur of the moment, he was anxious to feel it under him, I grinned as he jerkily drove away. Truly hope he didn't drive it up a tree.....
    [​IMG]

Article has more: http://www.cheatsheet.com/automobiles/greatest-hits-ford-mustang.html/5/
    Frank

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Nice car Frank - they had a smaller version over here called the Ford Capri
    we had one for a while :)

Frank Sanoica and Chrissy Cross like this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

A very good buddy of mine in high school, he lived across a couple of corn fields from me, had a Mustang. Him and his girlfriend took me to a basketball game once in it. I didn't have a car at the time, but when I finally got one, it sure wasn't as nice as his Mustang. Mine was an old 1956 Chevy Bel Air, I paid $75 dollars for that was sitting in a farmers field. Don't even remember how much it cost me to have it towed and repaired by a mechanic. Step-parents got rid of it while I was in the Navy.

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

My husband was such a car nut, I honestly can't remember if we had one or not, he went through a lot of cars.

One car he bought me was possessed. It was a green ford torino and would just take off even when I had my foot on the brake sometimes. Had the brakes checked and they were fine. I refused to drive it.

This was in the early 70's.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  5. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Ooo don't blame you - a relative of Christine :eek:

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Ha ha... maybe. :)

7. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh
    There's one for sale in our paper lately: $35,000!
    Frank

8. One thing I know about the car in the top picture: when that's what you first learned to drive in, you're spoiled for life. I think they had it for nearly two decades, and it was what I learned to drive in.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Attention, @Frank Sanoica ! I need info about selling a Ford Mustang. The guy that owns the rental houses that Bobby works on has a 1968 Mustang with a 302 engine and he asked us to help him list it for sale. He and his wife are Iranian, and they have a hard time with listing anything online for sale, so I agreed to put out an ad for him. He is asking $7500, which seems a little low to me , after doing some research for other vehicles of that same year and model.
    Since I know that you have said that you belong to some automotive forums, I am hoping that you can maybe point me towards a good sales website for Mustangs , and I can advertise it for him.
    Here is what it looks like, and he said that it runs fine; but he has had it garage-stored for several years.

654202C5-A852-4223-BA64-A839228A0CD4.jpeg DDE0EB13-68BF-441D-8C27-D857F6E15280.jpeg

Thomas Stearn likes this.
  10. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I had a car just like the one in the top picture, 1967, only lime green.

11. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Yvonne Smith
    Most all Mustang forums have a buy/sell section; I've never really looked at those parts myself, but several Mustang forums to which I belong are:

https://mustangforums.com/
    http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/
    https://forums.corral.net/index.php

I would look at each in the above order, my ranking of preference for them is thus oriented. IMO, $7500 is a good quick-sell price, $10,000 might take awhile. This depends on the mode of advertising. Craigslist is possibly as good as anything, but prospective buyers do use forums extensively, I understand.
    Frank

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Thank you, Frank, and I will check out the forums as well as listing it on Craigslist and the facebook yardsale groups here.
    I think that if he can sell it fast, he will be happy with that.

13. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

What a choice, @Frank Sanoica.
    Even though you bought it second-hand, were you then one of those well-trained, decently-earning 20-24 year-old young Americans who, among the cars displayed in the show rooms, hadn't found one which would fit in with their attitude towards life? Were you looking for a powerful, sexy and, above all, affordable car, i.e., not exceeding $2400?
    At least, that's what Iacocca and the boys around him thought young American were waiting for. And so he created such a car and put on the market. The marketing certainly boosted its success. What an emotive name for a car: Mustang. The huge initial sales hit confirmed that Iacocca was, economically, right.
    OMG, the second generation Mustang Shelby Cobra GT-500 then starting with 360 PS is a bit over the top considering the speed limit, isn't it? ;) Currently my car has 150. Congrats on selling it at a profit.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    Frank Sanoica likes this.