The History Of Veterans Day

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Joe Riley, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

"Veterans Day gives Americans the opportunity to celebrate the bravery and sacrifice of all U.S. veterans. However, most Americans confuse this holiday with Memorial Day, reports the Department of Veterans Affairs".

"What's more, some Americans don't know why we commemorate our Veterans on Nov.11. It's imperative that all Americans know the history of Veterans Day so that we can honor our former service members properly".
    [​IMG]

2. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I can't agree more, I know that most of our freedoms are due to the men and women that have served in the military. I'll check this one out too Joe. I love history anyway, and to read more about our veterans/military will be good for this American;)

Joe Riley likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

One of the things that always makes me happy, and sometimes brings tears to my eyes, is how people are now thanking our veterans for their service. Bobby was in the war in Vietnam Nam, and he proudly wears his cap with that information, and everywhere we go, people stop him, shake his hand, and thank him for his service.
    These baseball caps are like a distinguishing badge for our veterans, and whenever Bobby meets another vet somewhere, they always stop and chat with each other. Considering how most of America treated the soldiers who went to war in Vietnam, after they came back home, this honor for their service is long overdue, and I am glad that they are finally getting some recognition for risking their lives overseas.

We always shop at Lowes because they honor any veteran, and active service members, and give us 10% discount on everything we buy there, every day of the year.
    Home Depot, on the other hand refuses to acknowledge military except for Memorial Day weekend.
    With Veterans Day coming up, many restaurants offer free meals for vets, too. We never go because it would be large crowds, and it is usually a dinner, so too late in the day for us to be out driving, but the idea is awesome.

4. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

November 11th is also ' Remembrance Day'.
    Poppy Day
    We remember our Commonwealth brothers

[​IMG]

5. Denise Evans

Registered

I see and here this often, people reaching out to thank our veterans. It's not enough, but it's a start.

6. Denise Evans

Registered

I won't forget @Tim Burr I know where this countries wonderful freedoms come from, and Canada's. My mother and dad were both born in Canada. I still have many relatives there, but have not met in person. I remember my mother saying often, "The Maple Leaf Forever". I feel it's my second home, even though I never got to live there.

Ike Willis and Joe Riley like this.
  7. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I was never shown disgrace when I got out of the Navy, but then again, I wasn't part of the Ground Forces in Vietnam. I was there, but onboard a Navy Destroyer at Yankee Station in the Tonkin Gulf. We done "plane guarding" for the carrier Kitty Hawk and some gun support for troops inland. Even though I have a jacket with patches sewn on saying that I was in the Navy, the ship I as on, Fleet I was in and a Vietnam Veteran patch, very few people "thank" me for serving. Most people here don't even know, or remember Vietnam. They were either too young or not even born yet.

I do like the free meals though.

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

It doesn't relate specifically to Veterans Day but since I came across it again this morning, I wanted to share this photo, which is one that requires no words.

military-funeral.jpg

10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Because Robin was on the list to go to Iraq, and was also in Afghanistan several times in the last few years, and had many of her friends in the military sent overseas, this is her main motivation for her job now, which involves helping to send the necessary supplies over for the soldiers who are still serving overseas.
    She knows how important it is for these soldiers to get the equipment they need to keep the planes and helicopters running so they can do their job over there.
    She would have probably still been in the military of they had not forced her out on early medical retirement. With her health problems now, it is good that she is no longer in the military; but I am ever so proud of her for her service to our country.

Denise Evans likes this.
  11. Denise Evans

Registered

This is one of the most heart-wrenching ones I've seen, and it's always worth posting again:(

12. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Thank you for your service, Cody!

Denise Evans and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

I am glad that my country and the people honor the Veterans with a special day.
    It is hard sometimes for Veterans to separate this day with Memorial day,
    when our thoughts turn to those we served with.

I appreciate when someone thanks me for my service, but I never really know how to
    answer. It was a good life.

Tomorrow I will thank my wife and boys for putting up with all the moves and
    disruptions in their lives, so I could have a Military career.

They are my 'Veterans'.

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Even though I didn't make a career out of the Navy, sure glad I went in. I was already in the Navy (at Basic Training) when my folks got my Draft Notice. Thank God the Navy kept me!
    All-in-all, it was a very interesting and educational time for me.

Denise Evans and Joe Riley like this.
  15. Denise Evans

Registered

I just found out today that we have a woman veteran working in our office. I got to hug and thank her. I've known her awhile but never knew. I haven't met a veteran yet that brags, very, humble people, and you America's finest.

Joe Riley likes this.