The Janitor

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Frank Sanoica, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

While building our red brick house in Laveen, AZ, money was tight, wife worked, I toiled. Sears Roebuck ran a help-wanted ad for "Maintenance Engineer" at their Phoenix, Metrocenter store, part-time. My interviewer, Maintenance Manager Dan Carlisle, remarked I was way over-qualified, with an Engineering Degree, their concept of "Engineer" was mostly routine facilities work. I explained I was building a house single-handedly, could use the income. He hired me. March, 1986. By 1991, we were living in the house 3 years, still working at Metrocenter, and announcement was made by Chicago Corporate Office the maintenance function was being removed from the stores, to be replaced with teams of roving Technicians, full-time work, good pay scale. I interviewed with our District 251 Maintenance Manager, Fred DiNapoli, who chased me down in the store the next day, to tell me the job was mine! He was panting & puffing, and I suggested he might have just called. His true colors showed immediately: a hire was to be done only face-to-face. He knew not of my abilities (except whatever Dan might have told him), and I knew not what working stores in Arizona, New Mexico, S. W. Texas, and occasionally Southern California and Las Vegas was going to be like.

Over the years, it turned out that I performed work formerly hired out only to contractors, heavy mechanical replacement of A/C blower bearings, and the like. Fred estimated I saved Sears several hundred thousand dollars a year, and he was not reluctant to share that with his own boss, Tim Stuart, in Chicago, whose position was Facilities Manager over 400+ stores!

On my IRS returns, I listed my occupation as "Janitor"...........

Frank

2. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

If my memory doesn't play me false, you still get a pension from Sears for that? Is that true? Seems to me you mentioned that somewhere in one of your earlier posts but I'm not sure.

Frank Sanoica and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Thomas Stearn
    True. For ten+ years service vested pension rights have faithfully doled out the hugely-helpful, princely sum of $97.49 per month. What more could a janitor expect? Bitter? Nah. Just forever mindful of the indiscretions heaped upon those working, the promise of thankful compensation for valuable services rendered......Bitter? Maybe just a little bit. Frank

Bobby Cole and Thomas Stearn like this.
  4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I thought the idea of running Sears into bankruptcy was to get free of the pension obligations for all those old employees.

Bobby Cole and Frank Sanoica like this.
  5. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Don Alaska
    In addition to my pension from Sears, I also receive a check monthly from Dana Corporation, for whom I worked 10+ years, last in the late '70s. The last 3 years there, my salary was the highest I had ever received up to then. For those efforts, I receive $60 per month. However, Dana filed for bankruptcy in the mid 2000s, and the checks have continued unabated. Ditto now for Sears. Why?

Moral requirement? Governmental? Court mandate? I dunno.

Each month I jokingly toss the two checks, totaling $158.07, on the bank teller's window opening, requesting that my "welfare checks" be cashed!
    Frank

Von Jones, Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't think it would be a government requirement because the retirement checks and medical benefits for retirees of Great Northern Paper Company stopped coming when the company filed for bankruptcy.

Frank Sanoica and Don Alaska like this.
  7. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Moral requirement? Governmental? Court mandate? I dunno. @Frank Sanoica

Perhaps insurance.
    Oh, you sound bitter. I didn't know it was so low nor do I know anything about how the US pension system is organised. As for company pensions over here, if a company goes bust, pensions are paid by a Pensions Guarantee Fund that most companies make contributions to.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    Frank Sanoica and Don Alaska like this.
  8. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Thomas Stearn
    I guess I am bitter, to a degree, which I mollify by rationale that it's better than nothing, which many retirees are indeed faced with. I suspect the "payback" is graduated in such a way, rather exponentially, such that 30 or 40 years company service produces a substantially higher pension benefit.

We can, after all, go out to eat a number of times a month, if it's done judiciously, using my pension benefit happily.
    Frank