The Little Tree That Could

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Frank Sanoica, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Planted a Valencia Orange tree 5 years ago, bought from Wal-Mart's "death pile". It had blossoms the following spring, no fruit, following years ditto. Last March it produced more blossoms than ever, desert wind all but destroying them all, we thought. Late Spring, bitty gree oranges appeared! 9 of them. Understand, the tree is now under 5 feet tall. By Christmas they began to turn yellow, then orange, all the while feeling as hard as a brickbat. No hope, I thought. So, today I clipped one off. My wife cut it in two, and surprised we were at it's juiciness! Very thick skin; maybe Valencias are like that, what do I know?

Sweetest Orange I ever tasted! We each ate half.......Frank

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was thrilling, for us, simple folks that we are! ;)

2. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I like thick skinned oranges that can be peeled easily. Don't think the vallencias can be easily peeled but are juicy rascals.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

How very nice!

4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

My brother grows oranges in his yard in Georgia. They are a lot sweeter and juicer than any store bought orange. Congratulations to your little "Tree that could." It did good. :D

5. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

There’s nothing like your own home grown fruit ,we have apricot ,peach ,plum ,lemon and a mini nectarine

6. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

35DC873F-46A1-46A2-86A8-1C206F112B65.jpeg @Frank Sanoica I had a lemon tree here at this house ..after planting it as a twig ..it sat there saulking for about two years ....one day I thought I’ve had enough of you sitting there taking up precious space I could be using for something more productive .( my home is only on small home block of land about 19x 45 Mtrs)
    The tree was about 50 Cm high at the time ,so,out it came ..I headed for the rubbish bin that’s stored around the other side of the house and as I got nearer the bin I thought .,now I might just put it in that little vacant spot near the carport ....I will post a photo what it looks like now ..oops photo is to,big to,upload be right back

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    Shirley Martin likes this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When I lived in Texas, I had a couple of orange trees. Although one of them produced very good oranges, and I love oranges, I couldn't eat all the oranges produced by that tree.