The Night That I Saw the Asteroid -- Or Maybe It Was a UFO?

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Yvonne Smith, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It was a chilly night, I think it was in the early fall. I had come home from work, and was outside feeding the horses, goat, and llama. It was a dark , but starry night, and as i was carrying hay out to the livestock, suddenly, the whole sky above me lit up almost as bright as day, only with a beautiful greenish color to it.
    Shocked, I looked up into the sky to see what had caused the phenomenon, and saw a kind of comet-looking thing streaking across the sky.
    It was almost white, but the tail was a beautiful pale fluorescent green color.

In an instant, it had streaked across the sky and behind the trees out behind the trailer where I lived. As I stood there in shock, I heard the loud crash, and felt the ground shake. The windows on the trailer rattled with the vibration of the crash.
    I looked in the paper the next morning, and listened to the news; but they never really said what it was, or if they found it, or what remained of it, anyway.
    Was it a meteorite ? A UFO ? Who knows, but it was awesome to watch, and something that I will always remember.

It seems like most of the reports that we see of asteroids crashing or exploding are in Russia, or at least in that part of the world.
    However, This map shows that they actually seem to come down all over. It is interesting how some areas seem to have a lot of sightings, and other places have hardly any.

http://www.thewire.com/global/2013/02/meteorite-map/62195/

-- Link no longer active, but it's a good post. -- Admin

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2022