The Old Music Machine

Discussion in 'Music' started by Corie Henson, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

This is just a reminiscing of sound systems at home. Did you have the big cabinet that is actually a radio? The one with the label HI-Fi which means high fidelity (I guess wifi was taken from this)? Well, that radio has many uses. Aside from the music, it also had the drama plays in the mid morning which my mother sometimes listen to.

That cabinet, well, it's actually a console that can hold the coffee cup of my mother or the beer bottle of my father. That's also where our report cards are placed for the perusal of our parents. And the best of all, it is the place where my mother puts our daily school money allowance.

Ike Willis likes this.
  2. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

My parents had a big sound system which had a radio and a record turntable housed in a polished wood cabinet. It had 2 big separate stereo side speakers and took up the entire corner of a room.

We usually listened to a portable radio in the other rooms and I also had a portable record player in my bedroom, but I also used to play records and listen to the radio in the big cabinet. There was a record lending library in town and when I was in my teens I used to borrow jazz and classical guitar music to listen to on the stereo player.

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The first radio that my folks had was one of those really old ones that stood in an upright cabinet, and there was nothing but a radio in it. My dad had a small radio in his bedroom that i loved. It got not only AM stations (no FM back then), but it also received shortwave radio. The tuner was a big green "eye" that would narrow down as you zeroed in on the station.
    My dad would get some overseas transmissions on the shortwave, and even though they were in some foreighn language, it was fun finding them and listening.