The Pres Vetoes Another One

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Bobby Cole, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The president decided to reprimand the GOP by vetoing a 38.2 billion dollar bill, which was earmarked for the U.S. department of defense. Included in the bill was a small raise for our people in uniform, who for me, will never make enough for what they do. As a side note: When I went in my life was only worth $38.61 and it feels like the VA wishes more soldiers including myself had died instead of having to take care of and process claims for Vietnam and other war vets. I digress.

The largest reason the president (I now feel a definite dislike even writing his name) gave for the veto was that the bill tied his hands in that there was no provision in the bill which would allow him to comfortably close Guantanamo and move the retainees to the U.S.
    Just another note: Prior to the sequester the 38 billion or so was set aside for our military and has always been available pending a congressional approval since then. The president said that Guitmo is part of our national security defense system and should be give some priority in the previously set aside budget.

Suggestion. Put the prisoners from Guantanamo in Leavenworth among a bunch of U.S. militarily soldiers convicted of a crime, and then spend $1.50 on a bic lighter, $2.00 on a can of gas and burn Guitmo down. I will give up the $3.50 out of my pocket. No need to spend our soldiers pay raises on a bunch of terrorists Mr. President. I am sure the prisoners at Leavenworth will give the detainees a warm welcome.
    Put your expensive veto pen down now Mr. O and play nice with our military.

It might be time for a small million persons veterans and seniors party on the white house lawn.

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

So the seniors and the veterans and our military soldiers are the targets for the budget slashes. They barely mentioned the Socail Security Administration not giving us the minute cost-of-living increase that we look forward to each year.
    I don't think it was even on television, we heard it on early morning local radio.
    The rest of America was busy learning about the Odom guy that was married to a Kardashian doing drugs and ending up almost dead in a Las Vegas house of prostitution.
    We heard way more about that than we even wanted to know.

So far, if this latest news is on the mainstream news channels, we have not seen it on the television, and only heard the little blurb on our local radio station, which Bobby faithfully listens to each morning.

Another interesting thing is that the beautification of the White House is not affected by any of this money shortage.
    We might not have uniforms or weapons for our military; but we will sure have a pretty new dome on that Capitol Building ! !

Sheldon Scott and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

CORRECTION: My finger was faster than my brain when I posted the above figure for the defense budget. Instead of 81.2 billion it should read 812 billion.

Maybe Ken could merge my correction with the thread posting. My bad!

4. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

….cutting SS benefits and veterans benefits and then spending a million dollars to build a soccer field for the prisoners at Guantanamo, our worst enemies ever, plus 22 Cable TV Channels, DVDs, etc