The Radio Drama Of Old

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by Corie Henson, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

When I was in grade school, I remember the radio in our house to be tuned in the AM station for the daytime soap every weekday. Those drama on radio is a direct competition of tv shows during that time. TV is the main fare in the evening and radio dominates the households in the day. And like the soap on tv, there are serial radio drama that listeners would follow the development every day.

Last week when I took a taxi when I had a lunch out with colleagues, the radio was playing a drama. I learned from the taxi driver that there is one radio station that still have those radio drama just like in the olden times. And when I mentioned it to my husband, I was kind of shocked because I didn't know that he has a small documentary of the radio drama in youtube.

Here is the link -

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Joe Riley likes this.
  3. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

I'll look forward to watching your videos, @Corie Henson and @Holly Saunders ! I have no idea whether or not we have any radio dramas here. :oops: I haven't listened to the radio in many years but I didn't know of any when I was still using a radio.

I do know that many of the old-time radio dramas are available on... well, the set I had was cassette, so I assume CD as well. It was fun listening to some of them.... took people back to what we think of as better times whether they actually were or not. Many of them were from before I was even born.

I should check out Amazon.... bet there are tons of them available now... maybe even free on YouTube. You two have given me a project! :)

4. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I faintly remember any radio dramas. I have listened to book readings on the radio before mostly Agatha Christie.

Joe Riley likes this.
  5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Coffee Radio;)
    download (1).jpg
    download.jpg On-Air-Logo.jpg Hello_World_Shreveport_Louisiania_Coffee_Can_Paper_Label_Radio_1.jpg

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    Holly Saunders likes this.
  6. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

For a while, during college, the local public radio station would play a couple hours of the original radio dramas during the evening. Even though they were tame by todays standards, I enjoyed them. I even bought several cassettes of The Shadow and War of the World for.my own collevtion.

Joe Riley likes this.