The Rifleman

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ken Anderson, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Funny, but I got, as a Christmas gift, the Rifleman's rifle toy gun, when I was a kid. I liked watching the tv series and how devoted he was to his son and mighty, might fast with that rifle. I have the movie, The Gambler Returns-Luck of the Draw, that Chuck Connors appears in shooting his rifle. In the scene, Kenny Rogers tells Reba Mc Entire how Lucas is well known all over New Mexico and the entire territory.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  2. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Sure, Cody...I believe that!

You can see my Winchester Model 94 .30-30 on the rack.

Hal
    047.jpg

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

@Hal Pollner

I don't want to wade though certain details on the internet, but is that factory-modified Thompson something I could buy like any other long gun without "other requirements"?

Regarding that Winchester 94, I've got a Marlin 336C I purchased brand new in-the-box for $75. It was an advertising error. Also bought a new Sears Parker Marixa double 12 for $50. Of course, that was a while ago. The 94 is nice, if you like top-eject.

@Cody Fousnaugh

My toy of that era was the Bat Masterson stuff. I had a belt buckle with the derringer housed in it. You distended your stomach and the gun would swing out for you to grab.

bat masterson derringer.jpg

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Hal Pollner

Registered

I looked for a "pre-1964" Model 94 through many gun shows and finally found one at the big Los Angeles County Fairgrounds gun show. Whatever ejection method it used didn't matter...I bought the rifle for its Historic value and didn't even intend to shoot it.
    Hal

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  5. John Brunner

Gotcha.

I didn't recognize the vintage. My older brother had a 94, but I have no idea what year is was.

Probably more deer taken by that gun than any other, huh?

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Believe it or not, I had the same belt buckle with derringer housed in it! But, on mine, the gun would swing out and shoot.

John Brunner likes this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Have a Winchester '94 Lever-Action 30-30 we want to sell along with a Remington Express 20ga. It costs way to much to go to and outdoor range here to shoot either. We have got an indoor range here for lower caliber firearms.

Bought the Winchester '94 in 2003 from Gart Sports for $300 (on sale). At that time, we both thought I'd go deer or elk hunting........when never happened and won't. We are both "target shooters" not hunters, but fully believe in hunting. Wife thought about mounting the Winchester on a wall rack, but it's awfully heavy for doing that.

What I'd like to have is a Winchester Lever-Action.22, which is somewhat hard to find and, if found, is quite expensive. Lowest costing lever-action .22 is the Marlin, but Henry and Browning also have nice lever-action .22 rifles as well.

8. Hal Pollner

Registered

The bottom rifle on my rack is a Winchester .22 cal. Pump-Action Shooting Gallery Rifle.

Hal

9. Hal Pollner

Registered

John, I don't know if you can buy the modified Thompson anymore or not...check with your gun shop.

Hal

10. John Brunner

Greenie Stick 'M Caps?

I can't recall if mine shot or not, or if it shot projectiles.

11. Hal Pollner

Registered

Before Reba McEntire became a star vocalist, she used to assist her father castrating bulls on their ranch.

Hal

12. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I think that the correct term would be bull calves, because this is done when the calf Is very small normally, and not with a full grown bull. Just like sheep and goats, we banded them when they were very young.
    Horses are left for 1-2 years before they can be gelded, because they can’t be banded like sheep or cattle.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  14. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

I was a kid, Uncle had a big buckskin stallion. Took 5 strong men a twitch and a sharp knife. Never forget the kicking, the screaming and the blood running down his legs and a dog gobbling down the nut.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

That is terrible, @Peter Renfro , but it is what happened to most stud colts, and still does sometimes, even nowadays. Thankfully, most of them are now attended to by a veterinarian, who sedates and anesthetizes them first, which is much more humane.

Beth Gallagher likes this.