The Shape Of Water

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Terry Page, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I managed to find a slightly dodgy streaming site for this film, so we watched it last night enjoying it immensely, though it's not as good as "Pan's Labyrinth" which is simply a masterpiece in my opinion and probably my favourite movie....... it does have Guillermo Del Toro's artistic stamp, and being set in the 1960's at times it transported me back to my childhood through it's music and images.

The plot is about a mute young woman and concerns the mutual love between her and a captured sea creature, the stuff of fairy tales which Guillermo does so well.
    Sally Hawkins as the mute woman is just amazing quite a revelation...... I was pleasantly surprised that it had so many Oscar nominations and won several including Best Picture, despite not really being a mainstream film......It does have an underlying message about unfulfilled lives, which I guess you can miss or overlook, it entertains on visuals and action anyway...............If you like fairy tales and fantasy I recommend it....... as usual the trailer doesn't give a fair representation of the film as a whole, focusing mainly on the violent scenes ........

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Didn't see the movie, but was watching the Oscars when it won Best Picture. Actually, too scary for my wife. She, as well as I do sometimes, get somewhat "frazzled" watching dark scenes of movies like this. Sort of reminds her of The Creature From The Black Lagoon movie, without all the killing of course.

We definitely thought there were better movies that could have won Best Picture.