The Shining Life Of Neil Armstrong

Discussion in 'History & Geography' started by Joe Riley, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

The fact the camera did not come to lite until his death is astounding. Is there any footage to watch?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Here are five nuggets to know about Apollo 11 discovered during dozens of interviews for my 2005 book "Apollo Moon Missions: The Unsung Heroes."

5. Armstrong stood out with calm confidence
    "Choosing Armstrong to command the first lunar landing mission — and guiding the lander around mountains and over craters — was the right thing to do."

"Joe Schmitt, a senior suit technician who helped dress the astronauts for launch and buckle them into the spacecraft, said Armstrong had a quiet confidence that put everyone around him at ease."

"Neil was always passive about things," Schmitt said. "Even when I'd suit him up before tests, it was like his mind was way ahead of what we were doing. It was like he was already thinking about what he was going to be doing inside the spacecraft. If he had a problem, he'd let you know. But he was pretty good about just going along with things."

"Said Scheer: "If you sat down and had a beer with him, you'd say he's a regular guy, without ego, very accomplished, very modest, not impressed with himself or what he did. But he was very serious about his work, a highly-skilled test pilot and very, very calm under pressure."

3. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I watched the biography movie on Mr. Armstrong called 'First Man' on HBO today. It told his story with great depth of the man and the sorrows he had endured. I never realized the great fear the wives went through. It would be hard to be married to someone who has such a risky job.

Frank Sanoica and Joe Riley like this.
  4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Purdue graduate Neil Armstrong became the first human to set foot on the moon...a Happy landing!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

below: Old school photo of the famous Neil Armstrong when he was 6.
    [​IMG]

6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

[​IMG]
    "The most famous Eagle Scout astronaut in history didn’t earn the merit badge dedicated to exploring space."

"But there’s a simple explanation. The Space Exploration merit badge was created in 1965 — the year Armstrong turned 35. Even though he didn’t earn the merit badge, he’s a big part of it today."

"Scouts working on the Space Exploration MB must design a collector’s card about their favorite space pioneer."

"I’m guessing a bunch of them select the ultimate space pioneer. The First Man. The first Eagle Scout on the moon."