The Sign Of The Beaver / Keeping The Promise

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ken Anderson, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Based on a children's book by the same name, The Sign of the Beaver is about a 13-year-old boy who is left stranded alone in 18th-century Maine for the winter. In the book, he's 12, but 13 in the movie. He and his father made the trip together, building their cabin. The boy was left to watch the cabin, in order to keep the claim, while his father returned to Massachusetts for his wife, daughter, and new baby. Due to an epidemic in his Massachusetts village, he is unable to make the return trip, then winter settled in, and the kid is left in Maine by himself.

I have seen it before, but it's worth another watch. It is a family-friendly movie, with enough action to be interesting but no blood and gore, bad language, or sex scenes. The movie is mostly about the boy, an Indian boy of around the same age who he meets, and a bad guy. The Indian boy's father rescues the kid from drowning and offers to keep him supplied with food if he teaches his grandson to read, after which they eventually become friends. It's a fairly simple plot, without any real surprises, but I kind of like that.

David Carradine plays the father, but he mostly shows up just at the beginning and the end.

The movie has also been released as Keeping the Promise, but it's the same movie by another name, by which I mean the exact same movie, with the same actors, etcetera - just a different name.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018