The Story Of My Injury

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Don Alaska, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I don't know if anyone cares how my injury story played out or not, but here it is:

After putting up shelves in my equipment shed for storage, I came into the house , had a snack, and suddenly was in so much pain I could hardly function. I always have some pain since my back injury, but this was nearly unbearable. Medication helped some, but it only made the pain barely tolerable. I couldn't really walk, or sit without considerable pain, I finally had to take hydrocodone to make it up the stairs last night and into bed. It was several hours before I could get to sleep. I had an appointment with my massage therapist this morning, so I took muscle relaxants in order to be able to drive to the appointment. During the massage, I ask the therapist what she felt. She replied,"I feel a lot of really tense tissue here." After the treatment and I was dressed and leaving, she asked me if I had been driving screws with a screw gun. I told her that that was exactly what I was doing prior to the onset of the pain. She said it was a common injury to have disabling pain in the center of the back when driving screws, especially in awkward positions or over one's head...bingo! The therapist told me that driving screws stresses the mid-back and the inner thighs. It is a common injury that she sees. I had no idea!

When I started going to her, she asked me what I had done for a living before I retired. I told her and she wouldn't believe it. The therapist said I have the back muscles of a diesel mechanic and it probably served me well when I fell several years ago. She said diesel mechanics have massive back muscles because, when they are under a truck or piece of machinery, they tend to "muscle it out" rather than crawl out form under whatever they were working on to get the proper tool. I know the physical therapist in Seattle was amazed that I could lift my body weight with my arms when I had a broken back and was in renal failure.

Anyway, one treatment and the pain almost totally left...amazing!

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Wow. I'm glad you got relief from the pain, Don.

3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Your therapist is truly amazing - wish I could get an appointment with her
    So pleased you're on the mend and hopefully no more DIY to attend to :)

4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Don, that's an amazing fact which I'm gonna pass onto my hubs..he often uses an electric drill above his head ..

I can only imagine the pain you were in.. having back issues myself, but thank God you have a good massage therapist.

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

There is always DYI to attend to on a place like this. Sometimes I can get help, and sometimes not. Her telling me how I did it shows me she really pays attention to her patients/clients. There is not a lot of that in our healthcare here any more.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  6. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

So true
    At least now when you do DIY, her advice will help you to be more attentive to yourself :)

Don Alaska likes this.