The Thrill Of Homeowner's Insurance In A Hurricane Zone

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Beth Gallagher, May 4, 2019.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, it's that time of year again. Our homeowner's insurance renewal came this week and once again, I had to fan myself after spewing every curse word in my limited vocabulary. We live in the Houston area and I'd like to give a shout-out to thank "Hurricane Harvey" for this gift!! $2500 a year for homeowner's insurance, people. What the actual hell??? :eek::p

We have not had an insurance claim in 25 years, but we get the privilege of paying for all those other people's claims. Is this a great country or what?? :D (OK, just a bit of melodrama; I know it's a great country!)

Just a little vent. You may now return to your regular broadcast. :cool:

2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I know what you mean, @Beth Gallagher . I live 130 miles inland but I have to pay for those fools who have houses right on the beach.

Frank Sanoica and Beth Gallagher like this.
  3. Emma Smith

Emma Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

2018 Hurricane Florence

Of the 100 total counties in NC, Federal Emergency Management Service (FEMA) designated 34 counties to receive individual assistance.

There were 49 total deaths.

It’s still hard to imagine how severe the destruction. They had to close Interstate 95.

Even with nearly 131 million aid for households and individuals, the insurance premiums will probably jump up.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I think its the thing I resent most, having to pay for the deviants in society, I know that's not exactly relevant to the above
    but when you think of it, we miss out on a lot due to the wrongs of others.
    I detest speed bumps, they are there because of racing drivers - I could go on …… forever :rolleyes:

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Apartment complexes today now require residents to have Apartment Insurance each year. We have it here. One of the great things about living up North, like in Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Nebraska and so on...…...no hurricanes. Yes, sometimes a tornado, but there are those right here in Florida as well. Snowstorm/blizzards, yes, but no hurricanes. We went thru both Mathew and Irma and Irma really caused damage here.

6. Emma Smith

Emma Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

From deviants to speed bumps - lol.

What improves life for all is focusing on your own wrongs - something you can actually fix. ;)

7. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

My homeowners insurance covers things that I'm pretty sure I will never need. Actually, I think I'm over insured. They have property damage at over a hundred thousand dollars. I don't own a hundred thousand dollars worth of property. Then there is the part about if somebody falls on my doorstep and gets hurt; it covers them. I'm seriously thinking about just having storm and wind damage, etc.

8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

People are so anxious to sue nowadays that I hesitate to have the personal injury rider taken off. That's the thing about insurance; you just never know when you're going to need it.

Shirley Martin likes this.