The TPP Could Be The Death of America As We Know It

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Sarah Price, May 1, 2015.

1. Sarah Price

Sarah Price Veteran Member
    Registered

I have not heard ONE good thing about the TPP. Barack wants it and oddly enough he sides with quite a few republicans who want it too. That right there should make anyone suspicious. He wants it because it will further weaken America and the power we have. Republicans want it because they are all about their corporate cronies; never mind what happens to the average American or even America herself. Basically the TPP gives A LOT of power to corporations of nations who sign on to this deal. These corporations have more power than even local, state and even federal levels of government. They only answer to a world tribunal. So if this world tribunal of corporations decide that they have a "great idea" to drain the Great Lakes here in the U.S. for some purpose over in another country that signed onto the deal, they could do it. And not even our federal govt. could stop them. I know that's an extreme example, but they could do a lot of serious exploitation. NO corporation should ever have more power than the government in which nation they want to do business in. http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015...ust-obama-to-rewrite-rules-for-world-economy/

2. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

I agree with you in principle @Sarah Price corporations should not have the ability to supersede another entity, there has to be a checks and balance system to protect the indigenous people in any area of the world. I do think that whether we like it or not trading the way it has been all these years will need to evolve to contain a new world market. Just via the nature of travel and survival, it has made it so that a marketplace or manufacture can be anywhere globally. This has all happened due simply enough to supply and demand.

The thing to consider with this is how many major corporations went to third world companies to open manufacturing because of the regulations and limitations they found in the U.S and Canada, what a perfect solution to get passed things like environmental laws and labor laws. This in and of itself created a bit of a Frankenstein, not only do some of these countries not like the corporations being there, but they do not like the changes that it is bringing as far as Americanization and modernization. This is exactly the reason why we are seeing so much hate from groups that want to remain conservative in their own traditions and ways. Like it or not, all things change, one day all laws will be based for the citizens of the planet earth, hopefully some of the rich cultural and traditional things can manage to find a way to survive the unification. Weren't we all hoping for the Age of Aquarius once?

3. Sarah Price

Sarah Price Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, I hope I'm dead by that time because the idea of world power in the hands of a *very few* is completely scary, indeed. That's all this world needs is a handful of dictators at the top forcing the entire world to do whatever they say, OR ELSE. No thanks, I'll pass. If cultures want to do their own thing then decentralization is the way to go.

4. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't much about this subject but I do agree that no corporation should have more power than the govenment which we the citizens can have some limited say in.