The Word Sorry, And Mean It

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Psychology' started by Joy Martin, May 31, 2019.

1. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't believe I ever heard this word growing up and for sure not from father. He lived to mid 90's and just thinking I really had no support and learning from him. He drank all his life but even if he didn't people just don't Apologize and are sincere. My daughter and I talk about this a lot and we talk about her 17 yrs of a tough marriage and never a Sorry word from the ex who is now passed.

As I see it, the sign of a person who can apologize and say they are sorry and truly mean it, is a sign of a secure strong person. Not weakness.

Food for thoughts.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Joy Martin
    I am sorry to say that it is likely I am just not one of those satisfied with being sorry. I've always felt when apologizing for something that there must be some additional retribution I ought to be able to heap upon myself, after being "sorry".
    Frank

Nancy Hart likes this.
  3. Joy Martin

Registered

Oh when I think back over my life, just hearing those words with sincerity would have made a HUGE difference in my life. We are hurt by others intentionally and unintentionally all the time. It's how we can take their actions and not fall apart.

Even the words, Thank You, would have floored me coming from some in my life.

Patsy Faye and Frank Sanoica like this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I've told my wife "I'm sorry" before and added in a nice hug and little kiss. She done the exact same for me.

5. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Most of my lifetime was hard to say "I'm sorry.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  6. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

The words, "I'm sorry" should be followed by the words, "Please forgive me." It works.

7. Joy Martin

Registered

On these I'm Sorry and Thank You topics, I was with my dad in the last 3 months of his life and basically did all I could to help him leave this earth, and I did something as I recall that prompted a "thank you" from his mouth. I was stunned as I never heard that from him, he was mid 90's.... I learned more about my dad in those 3 months than all my life, and that he never believed in a divine being...at that point I finally did not either but we never talked about religion. My mother was the religion pusher.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  8. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

This topic reminds me of when I gave a childhood friend a bloody nose because she didn't say she was sorry. Although she didn't mean for me to get hurt by her actions I expected her to say she was sorry and she didn't. I don't recall what turned my eyes to red for me to haul off and hit her other than that I could only speculate that she laughed thinking it was funny. I still have the scar that reminds me of that incident.