There Is No Such Thing As Luck

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Lon Tanner, Mar 21, 2021.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

There’s No Such Thing as Luck The dictionary defines luck as “the things that happen to a person because of chance: the accidental way things happen without being planned, good fortune.”

toeverynation.com
    But there is no such thing as luck. It isn’t a property, like mass, or an object. Rather, to talk about luck is to talk about how things might easily have gone.

2. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, I don't know Lon, A person can be uniquely prepared but only by a bit of luck
    can he meet the few opportunities in a field of many highly qualified seekers of these
    limited positions or opportunities. I think luck plays a big part in life on many levels
    and men kid themselves thinking they do it all on their own.​

3. Lon Tanner

Registered

Luck can be a perception some people make of others accomplishments with out knowing all the facts.

4. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Possibly, but luck can also be the lack of perception of the accomplished because ego gets in the way
    or for other reasons.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    Yvonne Smith and Beth Gallagher like this.
  5. Lon Tanner

Registered

That's possible.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  6. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

Man, I totally disagree, Lon. In my life, I've had some good luck. I've been at the right place, at the right time. I sold my rental properties three weeks before Covid hit. Had I not done so, I might have been stuck with non rent paying tenants for a year, or more! I've played gigs that led to many more gigs because certain people just happened to be in the audience. I met my woman because another woman just happened to read a post of mine and told her friend that we'd make a good pair. I was in a van rollover accident where my band and I slid on the van's roof, outside of San Antonio, at 3 AM. Something told me to pack our gear very tightly, that night, after the gig. Had I not done so, the van would have collapsed on us. A good Samaritan heard the crash, and gathered our gear, and drove us to Austin. He would not accept payment. And on, and on, and.........

For all of the above: Knock on wood, and Kinehora!

In a case of horrible bad luck: My keyboardist was driving that night of the rollover. Some thirty years later, she was driving in Austin, and a guy crossed the center line, hitting her vehicle, rolling her over, and killing her. Had she been a few seconds earlier or later, at that location, she'd still be around, no doubt.

Luck obviously is not a physical property, per se, but it does indeed exist, as I see it.

7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It's an interesting discussion.

Usually when someone has had "good luck" it's been in the context of a lot of hard work and some amount of "failure." I've had some number of "right place/right time" events in my life (although one never knows the "what if" of paths foregone), but I've also had life catastrophes due to no fault of my own.

One cannot guarantee success, but there are some dogged people who are so absolutely driven they will not be denied no matter what, forever seeking opportunities and changing course as events develop. They may not make their own "luck," but they sure maximize their chances of success. Conversely, one can certainly guarantee failure by not trying in the first place.

While none of us "does it all on our own," there are varying degrees of participation in our own success and failure...certainly with some exceptions both ways.

And then there's "timing," specifically as it relates to our age group. Was there time (decades) to recover from a catastrophe before retirement, or were retirement plans dashed just as they were about to be executed?

8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Tell that to a professional gambler. They may know all the odds for every hand they’re trying to achieve but all that knowledge doesn’t trump luck.

Now, if the word itself offends you, then call it what you will. Widdle-Waddle?
    Yup, whether you like it or not, you’ve had a lot of widdle-waddle in your life Lon.

I believe it might have been Forbes who said that any man who calls himself a “self made man” is foolish.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  9. Boris Boddenov

Boris Boddenov Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I think that luck is the 2nd biggest factor in determining longevity, behind genetics but ahead of lifestyle choices, i.e., diet, exercise, seat belts, etc.

Bill Boggs and Bobby Cole like this.
  10. Lon Tanner

Registered

I totally disagree.

11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

It’s wonderful to disagree but on what grounds and what aspects of his statement do not ring true for you?

What would say to the fellow that came back from a war and he said, “ I had the good fortune to make it back alive.” ?

Never mind, I’ll come to the conclusion myself. I was a door gunner on a UH-C helicopter. I had no choice in the matter, it was made for me. I did what I had to do to protect myself but that said, the statistics were that I had about 8 seconds to live whilst in the middle of a combat assault.
    Since you do not believe in God, it would be prudent for you to acknowledge the fact that I am lucky to be alive today.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    Boris Boddenov and Don Alaska like this.
  12. Boris Boddenov

Boris Boddenov Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

20 Sports Teams Wiped Out In Plane Crashes | TheSportster

Article refers to 20 sports teams that have been wiped out in plane crashes. Some of them national championship teams.

Can't blame genetics for their short life spans and as high caliber athletes, their conditioning and diets were exemplary.

Reminds me too of that plane crash that claimed the lives of Buddy Holly, Big Bopper, and Richie Valens. Several others were planning to go such as Dion but at the last minute changed their minds opting instead to stay in place and take the bus the following day.

13. Lon Tanner

Registered

It's not necessary for me to elaborate further other than to say the popular S--T HAPPENS

14. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

And what would you call that other than what you wrote?

Ya see Lon, opinions are very important to each of us but one’s opinion doesn’t change the truth.
    Right, stuff happens but it often happens without the aid of one’s choices.

The facts are that luck is a factor of life. It’s a noun. There are at least a dozen synonyms and another dozen or so antonyms which all relate to one word....luck.
    You can bake it, fan it, boil it or mix it up and call it jelly but it is still going to be luck.

Bottom line for the sake of the thread is.......you’re wrong. Simple.

15. Lon Tanner

Registered

You are right about one thing. Luck is a noun and that's all it is. Very Simple