Things Are Growing... Yea!

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Yvonne Smith, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Some of the seeds that I planted have sprouted. I think there are a few radishes coming up out in the little patch along the fence where I planted the salad type of greens.
    We don't rototill in a regular garden because there is just no good place in the mostly-treed yard where there is enough sunshine, except between the house and the shop (and we need to be able to walk there).
    We usually grow most things in planters, and then I can position them where they get sunshine, and even move them around when necessary. Tonite, we moved all of the tomato plants back up on the front porch because we have big storms coming through for the next day or two, and don't want them to be out in the wind and rain.
    I have some cucumbers growing in hanging baskets, and also some morning glories and Moonflower vines. Hopefully the vines will grow around the front deck and smell wonderful this summer.
    The canna is not coming up yet, but it should be coming up soon. I have been digging up some of the roots and dividing them, so i can have a few more in different places.
    Moonflowers are one of my most favorite flowers. They are so delicate and look like they are made of silk, and the fragrance is incredible.
    image.jpg

Diane Lane likes this.
  2. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

Your flower is really very pretty, moonflower is new to me. It is still too cool at night to start anything outdoors. I can start some seeds indoors to be put out later.

3. Yvonne Smith

Pat, I have been starting mine inside, too. Even though it is getting warmer here in Alabama, I still have those pesky little squirrels to contend with. I planted sunflower seeds, and squash seeds, and the squirrells just came along, dug them back up, shellled and ate every single seed !
    II ended up getting one of those little trays and the flat growing disks that you use in them. You put water on the disk, and it swells up nicely and then you can plant the seed in there, and when it starts to grow good, you plant the whole little container out in the dirt.
    Now that I am getting the seedlings transferred outdoors and into the ground or in the flowerpots, I can just get more of the growing disks and re-use the tray for more plants. So far, it seems to work really well.

4. Yvonne Smith

I went to Kroger this morning, and they have lots of their plants on closeout. I got another peach tree, an apple tree, 2 raspberry bushes, and a gogi berry vine, all for just over $3 each. They had some mandevilla that they were throwing in the trash, and she let me take one of those, too. So, for not much over $15; I came home with the back of the station wagon full of plants.
    It seems like a nice sunny day, and the ground is still soft from all of the rain; so I should be able to get them planted this afternoon.

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I was reading up on night blooming and scented plants the other day, and saw mention of Moonflower, but I've never had or smelled one. I'll have to check into it. What color is your Mandevilla? I have one that has been blooming close to year round here on my balcony for the 6 years I've lived in this house. I was just out there and saw my first bud for the season.

Attached Files:

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

We're finally getting leaf buds on our trees.

7. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Haha Ken, the trees have been full for weeks here. It really doesn't take long, just a few weeks. About a month ago, I was able to see clear across two yards, and watch the woodpeckers on the tree stumps, but now I can't see beyond my own yard. We're probably in for another growth spurt, too, because it looks as if it's going to rain for at least a week here.