Things You Did Growing Up

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Craig Wilson, May 19, 2019.

1. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Do I need to answer that. I am betting when you were 6/7 you saw your mother every day and your father for that matter. If I was lucky I saw my mother once a month. At least for the first three years I was there..then family visits were changed to every two weeks.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Of course you don't "need" to answer. And yes, I grew up with kind and loving parents. I just don't understand your comment that the school prevented your mother from seeing you.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Holly Saunders

Reliving these memories must be painful. And in comparison, I thought mine as a young adult were bad......
    you have a great inner strength.
    Frank

4. Craig Wilson

Registered

My older brother told me my father treated him much like this.. due to his post Diabetes mood changes. He got the belt for the most petty misconduct..so much so my brother was terrified of him and ended up hating him.
    @Patsy Faye. What was it that you finally let go. If I may be so bold?

5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

This has been said by many people in my life Frank...I believe it's the only thing that kept me sane!!! yes painful, but not as painful as it once was. I was almost 50 before I could even speak of it , I just couldn't form the word which literally would threaten to choke me with emotion......and my siblings and I still can't speak of it in any depth between each other!!

6. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I was an unwanted child, the attempted abortion didn't work and my Mother despised me for living through it
    The details of what followed are personal to me and need to be buried. I finally left my Mother and her sidekick (my sister, 10 years older than me)
    at the age of 42.

Craig Wilson and Don Alaska like this.
  7. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Craig Swanson - I'm not being flippant here, I know its hard to let go but, looking for laughter and music in your life
    help tremendously to heal

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Craig Wilson

Registered

You too have an inner strength. Congrats.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  9. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Thus, with considerable effort, the closets have been swept a bit cleaner than they were before......

Frank

10. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I think I already answered this one in another thread but I can’t find it so.....
    Let’s see, what did I do as a kid. I worked a lot, then there was the time I worked, and man, I do remember when I worked even more. Oh yeah, there were the times I spent learning to play the piano and other instruments and those times in between work and practice that I studied.

Yeah, I’m sure there was some other stuff but I can’t quite recall a whole lot before the age of 3. I can honestly say recess and sleeping were my greatest sources for experiencing fun.

Can’t complain a bit though. Nearly everything I learned and experienced as a young lad has been useful as an adult.

Craig Wilson and Patsy Faye like this.
  11. Craig Wilson

Registered

We hi jacked the thread somewhat with some maudlin posts.. so now back on track.

I did post earlier some of the mischief my brother got up to as a child. Another of his misdemeanors was he took great pleasure in purloining fruit from the local orchard and would often drag me along as the lookout. The orchardist was a Mr Brookwell (I think) and he had the local greengrocer. He grew oranges, plums, peaches, cherries and apples. Plums and cherries were usually the target on our raids as they were the closest.. My brother would climb the wall with the aid of dads ladder and head for the trees while I kept lookout on the Brookwell house from my vantage point. How we were never "pinched" red handed is a mystery.. tho we did come close on several occasions.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Craig Wilson

Registered

13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It is an old picture of my mom when she lived in California, in about 1929. She and my dad lived near San Diego for a while, and then moved back to Idaho, where they stayed after that.
    My dad was from north Idaho, but my mom’s folks traveled all over, and ended up in San Diego; so my mom and dad were there after they got married.
    I put this picture on my avatar for Mother’s Day, and then liked it and just left it up.

14. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

:( what awful knowledge to live with .

Patsy Faye likes this.
  15. Patsy Faye

Registered

Every child deserves a good Mother - 'now' its hard thinking of those that don't, my life is way beyond that awful past
    :)