This Is Friday

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Bill Boggs, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

The thirteenth so be ye careful. I no longer have a ladder long enough or tall enough for me to walk under but if i did i wouldn't want to walk under it, especially today. I wouldn't want to tempt fate and it might not but why pray tell go to extreme on the thirteenth, when it falls on a Friday. I haven 't seen a black cat in my neighborhood and I hope I don't to day. I can remember at a young age riding in a dump-truck with my uncle. I don't remember where we were going but I remember the exact local when a black cat crossed the street in front of us as we rode along. My uncle braked, stopped, and turned the truck around. He said, "I don't know if there's anything to that old saying about letting a black cat cross in front of you but I'm just going to turn around here and go another way. No use in me finding out if there's anything to it when I'm a hundred miles from home." He was visiting us from down state. And he went on to tell me about some dos and don'ts of other superstitions. The only other one now that comes to mind is walking under the ladder is bad luck but I do recall there were several. Of course I am not suggesting in the least that I am a superstitious individual, all I'm saying is be ye careful. Strange things happen and we, none of us, I'm sure, want them happening today to any of us.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We say an "extra long" prayer for us today.

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I treat it the same as any other day and take the same precautions I always take.

4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

@Bill Boggs , didn't your uncle know that if you make an X on the windshield it cancels out the bad luck from the black cat? :D I can't reach the windshield so I just make an air X. Works, too! :D

And don't forget that if you spill the salt at the eating table, throw a few grains over your left shoulder.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  5. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I found that Friday the 13th pops in and out of my life, and it seems like it occurred in several events in my family as well. For me the biggest one was that my oldest son was born on and died on Friday the 13th.

Another of my superstitions concerns a dream I had when I was about 24. I dreamed that I died while driving a white car on the freeway. I admit it’s stupid, but I still don’t drive white vehicles of any kind.

Another is more of a tradition I guess, but I cut my hair short whenever someone close to me dies.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    Shirley Martin likes this.
  6. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I have heard that but I'm sure he didn't know that way bak when or maybe he did and i have forgotten.