Those Old-time Western Movies We All Loved

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Yvonne Smith, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Here is one of the best videos ever. This is taken from some of the old Gene Autry movies, and narrated in a song that is sung by Johnny Cash.
    My son just sent a copy to me this morning, and this is one Johnny Cash song that I have never heard before.
    When I found the song as well as the video on Youtube, I just knew I had to share this, and the rest of the Old-timers will remember watching Gene, and listening to some of his songs back in the early 50's.
    I loved listening to "Back in the Saddle Again", and of course, he is the original singer of that great Christmas classic, "Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer".

Sheldon Scott and Ike Willis like this.
  2. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks, your post brought back some fond memories of my cowboy days. No, I was never a cowboy, but between the ages of 6 and 75, I thought I was.:) Saw as many of the movies as I could and read all the comic books as a kid. Liked Red Ryder best. In those pre TV days, I listened to the Lone Ranger, Gene Autry, Cisco kid and other like shows.
    On another forum I wrote about some of my exploits from those "cowboy days". Somehow, I survived them.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When I was a little girl, @Ike Willis , my sole dream in life was to grow up and marry Roy Rogers. I was not deterred in the least by my mother informing me that Roy Rogers already had a wife, and she did not think that Dale Evans would like my plan at all.
    I think that I watched every western movie that came to our little Idaho town. We had Saturday matinees at the local theater, and for 50 cents, we could get our ticket, plus some popcorn to eat during the movie. They usually had two features, and then re-played the first one; so going to the movies could become an all-afternoon affair, and did become that for most of us kids.

By the time I was 11, my folks had realized that my being "horse-crazy" was NOT going away, and bought me my first horse, a little Welsh pony named Dandy. I spent the rest of my growing up years riding my horse, as much as possible, winter and summer, and for most of the rest of my life have lived in the country (somewhere or another) and had horses.
    I truly miss having a horse; but since we now live in town, and it would be too hard for me to take care of one anymore, now I just watch the old movies again.
    Here is a picture of me and Dandy when I was probably 12-13. The cat is Suzy Q, my favorite cat, and she loved riding on Dandy like this.
    image.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  4. Dave Sun

Dave Sun Veteran Member
    Registered

Love the picture, Yvonne. And Ike, you had to have the official Red Ryder BB gun. Mom always told me."Don't shoot you eye out, David."

Yvonne Smith and Ike Willis like this.
  5. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

I had a Red Ryder BB gun. In fact, I wore out the first one and got another for Christmas.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Ken N Louis

Ken N Louis Veteran Member
    Registered

OT sorry.. My wife wanted a BB gun for Mother's Day, a couple years back, to scare away critters without killing them. One of our daughters bought her one..
    1004502_284691395014497_1770808895_n.jpg

Ike Willis likes this.
  7. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm not fond of western movies but my father and brothers were. I remember when the tv series High Chaparal has a schedule on that night, we would be having dinner earlier than usual so there would be no interruption when they are watching the program. If I remember correctly, the lead character is a man with white hair. I don't remember much but I'm sure it is a cowboy movie although I can't recall who their (cowboys) enemies are, probably not Indians. My father would say that it is a family drama that is has a moral lesson in the end. There are other Western programs and even movies but the only one I remember is How The West Was Won... it was shown on the year I was born.