Thoughts About The Earth Being Flat

Discussion in 'Conspiracies & Paranormal' started by Yvonne Smith, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

@Yvonne Smith Thanks for posting all that!! I was trying to think of a new interesting Bible study for early mornings. (It took me almost all of last year just to study the 12 tribes!) Once the Hebrew is on the table, it opens up so many new directions of study. It's terribly complicated, but with the right web sites, it makes it a lot easier. I saved pictures of your posts and will print them in the morning. Can't wait to check it all out!! Thanks again.

I wanted to add, I'm never suggesting the Hebrew is better than the King James, but sometimes in a translation difference, the full or even easier to understand meaning can get blurred. The original Hebrew actually can alleviate what seems like contradictions in the english translation.

Ken Anderson and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Interesting. And now I will confess that when I look up into the night sky, I have to wonder exactly how "they" decided which stars to use when 'connecting the dots.' All I see is a bunch of little lights in the sky. :D Seems to me that a person could randomly connect any of them to make any type of diagram that they want. (Yeah, astronomy is not my long-suit. :D)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Astronomy never made a lot of sense to me either. Other than the Big Dipper, none of that stuff even remotely resembles anything in particular.

4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I guess back in the olden days before TV and the internet, people spent a lot more time mapping the heavens.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

While ingesting LSD, I think.

Mary Stetler and Beth Gallagher like this.
  6. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

From my little piece of real estate here in the south central u,s, i don’t suppose it makes much difference.
    Would be curious though if there are drop off places and where some-of them are even though I’m not likely
    to venture that far from home.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  7. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

The people who push the idea of a flat earth want you to listen to them and not to do the research yourself. This is like the global warming scam. They find ONE place on lake Michigan where you can see a long distance and say there is the proof. I spent many years sailing Lake Erie and also going up the cliffs at Port Stanley with a telescope and was unable to see the US side of the lake 50 miles away. You can believe anything if you only listen to other and do not check out the information personally. .

8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

9. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I don't know if this should be in Faith and Religion or Science and Nature, but apparently the Flat Earth Theory was developed by American Washington Irving of Sleepy Hollow fame. Columbus and everyone else knew that the Earth was round back into antiquity, and anyone who has viewed the ocean from above (even at mast height) can see a curvature. The Flat Earth stuff was apparently propagated to bolster anti-Catholic sentiment when the Church opposed Darwin's theories in the 19th century, even though the circumference of the Earth had been calculated millennia before and was certainly known in the 15th century.

Ken Anderson and John Brunner like this.
  10. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I thought every derisive leftist position was well-grounded in fact, and I must be be a knuckle-dragger to even consider having an independent opinion on it.

I had no idea this myth was of such modern origin, nor did I realize it had Irving's fingerprints on it. Leave it to someone born in NYC who writes of some guy taking a 20 year nap to get Leftists everywhere to derisively regurgitate his fiction. I guess such planted seeds have no problem growing in ground that is so fertile due to its manure content.

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

12. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Tommy Gunne and Beth Gallagher like this.
  13. Janice Lynne

Janice Lynne Well-Known Member
    Registered

Personally I used to assume that the Flat-Earthers were just spoofing us with some private joke that they didn't actually believe. So surprised to discover how earnest some of them are! Seems that they rely on a pseudo-Biblical sort of ramble that somehow poses as 'scientific.'

For further hilarious research ---

http://www.rogermwilcox.com/square_earth.html

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  14. Samual Yoder

Samual Yoder Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

It is what it is, it is a waste of time debating it people gonna believe what they want so let them it is no skin off our butt or is it teeth if they want to believe in a flat earth, the same for those who believe the devil is red, has horns, a pointed tail and carries a pitch fork

Faye Fox likes this.
  15. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

The Flat Earth stuff was apparently propagated to bolster anti-Catholic sentiment when the Church opposed Darwin's theories in the 19th century,
    That's intriguing.... a conspiracy theory ( of sorts ) propagated by people who didn't believe it themselves? That's the definition of the word 'convoluted'.

Don Alaska likes this.