Time For General Thinking

Discussion in 'Happy Talk' started by Frank Sanoica, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Do you note that at some time of the day, likely every day, while you perform some task at about the same time always, that your mind goes to rambling about as you work, thinking randomly perhaps about plans, the past, or reminiscing in general?

I do this without pre-determination, every morning while shaving. I look at the old and fat spectre peering back at me, bags under it's eyes, ears starting to look elongated, as old men's often do, wrinkled skin, and wish the facial hairs would simply quit growing. Then I start thinking. But, the older I get, seems the less there is to think about. Most of the wonderful folks in my life are dead. So are the not-so-wonderful folks, including hopefully the guy who vowed to kill me. The uncle who disparaged everyone and everything, my Mother referred to her brother as "Frank the crank".
    Frank

Patsy Faye and Don Alaska like this.
  2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

My time for pondering imponderable things is right after I get dressed in the morning. I sit on the side of my bed and think of things that happened in the past; things that might happen today and what I am going to have for breakfast.

3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Mourn those good people who have passed, and appreciate those not-so-nice people who are gone as well.

4. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Don Alaska
    To what extent do you believe you "live in the past"? My wife accuses me of it often!
    Frank

5. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Explain please. I don't understand.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  6. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I notice from the above posts that like me, pondering is generally done first thing in the morning, interesting and I shall ponder
    that tomorrow morning …………..
    Nowt wrong with living in the past, I prefer to be there :)

Chrissy Cross and Frank Sanoica like this.
  7. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

For me, the past is comfortable like an old pair of shoes.

I tend to watch many of the television programs from the 50's - 80's and only a couple of the current offerings.

I also tend to eat the foods that I grew up with.

[​IMG]

8. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Don Alaska
    Perhaps I misinterpret your reason for referring to people in the past.
    Frank

9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Swimming , or even yardwork is my time to just “turn my mind loose” and let it wander wherever. I really look forward to that as much as I look forward to the swimming itself, and it is a quiet and regenerative time for me, both mind and body.
    For most of my life, I had horses, and horseback riding was when I just enjoyed life, and sometimes, didn’t even think much beyond watching what was around me, and enjoying being on my horse, and seeing nature....... the trees, the sky, maybe some wildlife.....and just being at total peace with the whole world.
    I miss that.

I think that I live more in the present and the future than in the past.
    While I do enjoy reminiscing about happy times in the past, I don’t actually still dwell there. My mind is on what I am going to do today, and what I hope to do tomorrow, and in the future.
    I occasionally watch old movies, but more often, I am watching some kind of a documentary about something I want to learn more about, or an interesting tutorial about something from Youtube.

These are the last days of my life, and I do not want to miss out on any of them by living in the past, and not the present.

Chrissy Cross and Patsy Faye like this.
  10. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Yvonne Smith - yea but you can swim and do yardwork, makes a big difference that does ……………..

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

All I know is I'm not in a good place right now. Maybe I miss the past and am worried about the future.

How are you doing without your wife @Frank Sanoica?

Was wondering and figured I might as well ask you here. :)

12. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

There are many things I wish we could re-instate from the past--single citizenship, intact families, a sane public education system controlled by the states...but many things I don't want back--racism, sexism.... I don't feel I live there, however.

13. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Yvonne Smith "These are the last days of my life, and I do not want to miss out on any of them by living in the past, and not the present."

Ah, your philosophy differs from mine. Living "in the past" sustains me, somehow, by allaying thoughts of the future, with it's inevitable demise. The present? Yes, well, I deal with it a step at a time, but it really does not "satisfy" emotionally as well as languishing back, thinking about how good the "best of times" were, cherishing and relishing them. My wife's thoughts run in opposition, but we don't clash over the differences.
    Frank

Don Alaska and Patsy Faye like this.
  14. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Chrissy Cross
    Kind of you to ask! Getting by, realizing how much she does daily that falls to my hands now, not complaining, but surprised is all. Her Mom is worse mentally than was thought. Yesterday, she was mentally agitated, and thought she was in a courtroom, instead of hospital room. Didn't understand. My wife is handling this all, emotionally, quite well. She may be the most mentally-stable of the three sisters. In fact, I'm certain of it.

Now, about you: why are you in a difficult circumstance, might I ask?
    Frank

15. Patsy Faye

Registered

We all have different reasons for our reflections on life - valid reasons
    But I never want to be negative so I keep the things that make me happy close in my memories and heart

Frank Sanoica and Chrissy Cross like this.