Time To Go Uh... Fishing?

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Bobby Cole, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Well, I have deep sea fished in the Atlantic and Pacific and cane pole fished on the Mississippi. I have donned rod and real and fresh water fished whenever the mood presented itself and even used a Hawaiian Sling whilst snorkeling in the Bahamas. At one time I used a cast net when I lived on the Sebastian River in Florida and even served as a deck hand for a couple months on a fishing trawler but I have Never tried to use my hand as bait for catfish as this young lady is doing........

Nancy Hart and John Brunner like this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

'Cause I'm a wuuuuuh mun
    Double-you oh emm a enn

Man oh man, she made me smile. Good for her. 'Murika!

There used to be a cable show about "noodling" (catching catfish by hand as she did.)
    I guess there are only so many available story lines.

I've fished a lot, almost exclusively inland, though. Lots of ponds, lakes (small and Great), reservoirs, rivers, sometimes coastlines from the beach. I've been out on the ocean a couple of times, but don't like the rough ride or getting out of sight of land.

I prefer eating seafood to fresh water fish, but I prefer fresh water fishing to putting my life at risk.

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I love going fishing, but have not done so in many years now. As a child, my folks went camping and fishing almost every weekend in the summer, and pan-fried trout and pancakes cooked over the campfire was probably my favorite breakfast back then.
    In north Idaho, people threw away catfish when they caught them, and only a very few people even thought of eating one. I didn’t even taste one until after i was an adult and married, and then I was not impressed with them.
    When I lived in Missouri, there were three ponds with catfish in them, and I learned to enjoy catching catfish, and found that if I barbecued them , they tasted a lot like halibut, especially with a little lemon and melted butter.

One of the largest fish that people caught in Idaho was the sturgeon. I think that now, sturgeon fishing is pretty restricted, but it used to be something that people would want to catch for winter food, just like getting an elk or deer was. I have never seen one, just pictures of them. Pretty sure that I would not want to try sturgeon-noodling though.

97ECDFCD-ACC9-4176-914A-BA2DB05FA9AA.jpeg

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

That looks prehistoric. I just read that it's the eggs more than the flesh that people harvest sturgeon for...sturgeon roe is 90% of the caviar market (there are lots of species of sturgeon.) The Atlantic sturgeon is listed as endangered.

I like fried catfish. I recall catching a 2# one in the Shenandoah river (so it was a very clean fish), taking it home, and smoking/grilling it. It was OK, but as I said in a prior comment, I prefer seafood to freshwater fish. But I'll eat pretty much anything that's put in front of me. I've scaled and fried my share of pan fish (bluegill, crappie, etc.)

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

upload_2020-8-15_7-8-17.jpeg
    A little “seafood”.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I gave up fishing many, many years ago. I gave it up because my wife's nephew told me I didn't know how to fish
    and I agreed. I prefered to read or browse the countryside. BIL and nephew keep my freezer stocked. If I might a
    short, short about fishing. When I was much younger and my young son was five years old, I was going to take him
    out and teach him to fish. We got down to the river and I baited a straight line cane pole for him to lay with while I
    got out my tackle box and rods and reals. When I got everything read for some good fishing, just as I turn around
    to hand my some his rod and real, he was backing up pulling his line out of the water, yellingloudly to me, "Is this
    the way, daddy?" We fished for a couplle of hours and he caught a small pourch. Daddy didn't catch anything. I did
    have some satisfaction though when he told the story, 'when daddy taught me how to fish.'

7. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

When younger my dad used to take us fishing in a lake. All I ever caught was small but it was fishing. When in my late teen years, my dad's company chatterer an old PT-boat for a deep sea fishing trip. People werecatching all kinds of fish until some garbage sharks showed up. I caught nothing that day, Not even a crappy shark. About 25 years later my brother asked me to go fishing with him. When the fish caught my line, it almost pulled me from the boat. Bluefish are extremely belligerent fish.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Instead of a hunting dog, I think I would like a fishing dog . They let this one go back in the water; but it would have made a great catfish dinner for someone if they had kept it.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Funny, but for the 10 1/2 years we lived in Jacksonville, FL., not once did we go fishing. We were told that not many people fish on the St. Johns River and we could see that. Actually, when we moved there in January 2009, we bought my wife, and later myself, saltwater fishing gear, but none of it ever hit the water. We sold, and gave away, all of it before moving back here to Colorado.

Now, even crazier thing, when we lived in Colorado before, we had three freshwater rods/reels and two tackle boxes full. Just like our winter parkas we bought when we lived here before, we also kept all of this freshwater stuff and brought it back to Colorado with us.

When we lived here before, we loved going trout fishing on a local lake in our old, now sold, bowrider boat. Boy, did we catch some nice trout in Chatfield Reservoir.

Now that we live in Loveland, and had our Celebrity 200 20' Cuddy Cabin transported here, we are looking forward to trout fishing at Boyd Lake State Park. Done it once at the end of last summer, but it was too late in the day for trout.

In living here, we have to wait until around June to hit the water.