Time

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Kalvin Mitnic, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Kalvin Mitnic

Kalvin Mitnic Veteran Member
    Registered

If you see someone look at their watch and could quickly ask them the time they would very likely look again at their watch .They and we seldom look to see the time but rather to see if we have time. Are we on time? Must we rush or relax or make some plan or perhaps ready an excuse.
    We often look in our time, but seldom see what we look at, like the watch.We didn't see the watch we saw the pressing of time.
    When we look at a route we're walking do we see anything but where our steps are taking us? The tree in bud or bloom or the bird singing as we pass. Do we take notice of the pan handler or the litter? Perhaps we have our filters. Perhaps where we're going is single minded and selective.
    When we face a friend or a stranger do we see them or do we look to see how they might impact or effect us. Do we see or just move through our time.
    Can time be spent more meaningfully. More appreciatively. Prolonged by seeing, simply seeing as we pass through the time. When going somewhere we must pass through visages,scenes and subjects but usually regretfully we only see our objective.
    When we look at our goal is it the journey ending only in our view with no thought of the things we're passing through.
    We are selectively blinded not by the lack of light but of having our vision veiled by perceptions of needed accomplishments. Achievement. Completion.
    We met our set goal. We arrived at the point we set out for. We saw the end but saw not through the passing time.
    We saw the time but not the watch.The watch hands. It's gold case or bracelet. Nor even the human that spent the time being passed and ticked away. Probably not even the person who asked, Do you have the time"

Well do you?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    Ken Anderson likes this.
  2. Missy Lee

Missy Lee Veteran Member
    Registered

Today if you ask someone the time they don't look at a watch, they look at their cell phone for the time.

Yvonne Smith and Chrissy Cross like this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

It's true, I don't wear a watch. Of course there's the iwatch now....:).

My daughter just texted me a pic of her and my 2 grandsons in front of theLeaning Tower of Pisa and that's what I noticed...she was wearing her iwatch.

I also noticed all the other tourists doing that arms up pose by the tower like they're holding it up, lol.

I actually noticed a lot in that pic. Saw a guy in a Cubs t shirt...probably from Chicago.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I dislike the fact that I act as if time is pressing, I 'must' get on
    I must get somewhere 'early' - never late
    This puts stress on me, but I can't change it - I would love to be more relaxed :rolleyes:

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Very profound!

I try to take in my surroundings at all times, and I carry a camera and an Iphone with me always to capture the trees, the flowers and the landscapes wherever I go ...and even then when I've downloaded them I often see in those shots things I didn't really notice when I took certain pictures..

Incidentally...I always wear a watch...never have looked at my phone for the time..ever!! ..but it's a truism that I'd glance a second time if someone asked me..

6. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm exactly like you @Patsy Faye , I'm a stickler for good timekeeping...always have been and yes it's stress making...but I'm more stressed if I'm late for anything and equally if anyone is late for an appointment with me...

Patsy Faye likes this.
  7. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

Kalvin Mitnic likes this.
  8. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Job or work or any appt.am never late by my own fault. I make allowances for distance and traffic. Me and my hubby always have gotten up in plenty of time to get where we are going without pressure. Have not worn a watch since I retired 4 years ago. And one glance at the time on phone :Dworks for me.

9. Patsy Faye

Registered

That's true ! Feel better now 'cos I'd be stressed either way !! :p

10. Kalvin Mitnic

Registered

Interesting site. More there then at first glance.
    I have far too many clocks. On all electronics now it seems. I hate DST with all the changes. I dislike different 'times' on any..:confused:

We seem to live in time's hours rather than experiencing the moment, "gather ye rosebuds while ye may". Robert Herrick

fugit inreparabile tempus: An ancient Roman we now know as Virgil (70 BC – 19 BC).

Both pretty much got it right.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  11. Kalvin Mitnic

Registered

I have met more than a few that seem to take pure delight in always being late-- always holding things up. Perhaps always seeking attention.

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

There are a number of "Upper-Class" Executives, CEO's, CFO"s and ladies that still wear expensive watches. Just goes with being "Upper-Class".

13. Patsy Faye

Registered

Why would you wear an expensive watch ?
    I've had 3 watches in all my years - great looking and all worked fine, no problems at all

14. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

My daughter has a few expensive watches. She likes them. Not her iwatch, those aren't that bad but she does have a Rolex.

My son also has quite a few watches...he just likes them and is even on a watch forum. He repairs them, changes bands etc. it's his hobby...he has a huge box filled with watch repair things.

If he ever quits being a dentist he can go into the watch business. :)

He's really funny...when he come home from work he changes into his comfy watch and clothes.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  15. Patsy Faye

Registered

A watch is a watch - a Rolex wouldn't interest me
    Just as well someone buys them, keeps them in business